Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
K&N ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2002, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default K&N ????

Has anybody installed the complete K&N kit, not just the drop-in cleaner??? I was wondering if you thought it was a good investment or not. Any problems with the stock computer recognizing the extra air flow??? Also, with the filter out there in the open, doesn't it get more dirt????

TIA

Old 02 May 2002, 11:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to renichms

I used a K&N round filter with exhaust extender for it to reach the engine's air hose. It was completely open and exposed. It was also free to move around, no matter how well I anchored it. It ended up touching the negative battery terminal, which heated up. The air filter is now partially melted and bent in ways that air filters were never meant to go.

Now I have the Airaid cold air intake. The filter can't touch any parts hot enough to melt it or bend it out of shape. It sounds about the same as the open air intake, but acceleration is much better with the Airaid.

I wouldn't recommend an open intake anymore, unless you have a way to protect it. The dirt is less of a problem than the heat and things it can bump into. If you can, get an intake with a cold air box...they all operate in the same way, so unless one is just totally inferior to the others, they should all be the same...and I'd go for the cheapest one.

RN

See Mephisto
Old 02 May 2002, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Have you noticed a perfomance boost??? any computer issues?

Quote:
quote:
I used a K&N round filter with exhaust extender for it to reach the engine's air hose. It was completely open and exposed. It was also free to move around, no matter how well I anchored it. It ended up touching the negative battery terminal, which heated up. The air filter is now partially melted and bent in ways that air filters were never meant to go.

Now I have the Airaid cold air intake. The filter can't touch any parts hot enough to melt it or bend it out of shape. It sounds about the same as the open air intake, but acceleration is much better with the Airaid.

I wouldn't recommend an open intake anymore, unless you have a way to protect it. The dirt is less of a problem than the heat and things it can bump into. If you can, get an intake with a cold air box...they all operate in the same way, so unless one is just totally inferior to the others, they should all be the same...and I'd go for the cheapest one.

RN

See Mephisto
Old 02 May 2002, 01:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

The car has better pick-up than with the open style air intake. I've had no problems of any kind with the computer.

RN

See Mephisto
Old 03 May 2002, 01:20 am
Cool Cruiser

I have the K & N FIPK System and I am very satisfied With It Much better peformance than stock . The drop in is a waste of money. The K & N is the only one that I know of that comes with a CARB sticker (California Air Resources Board ) witch means it is emissions legal in all 50 states. I also have a Bassani exhuast system so I can't tell you how much of a gain you might get with the stock exhuast I know several people that had other setups and ended up buying . The K & N . My advice is to shop around I have noticed up to $100 price difference. Most of the other things that are cheaper all use a K & N filter. That should tell you something about who is doing the research. Better to be happy the first time

Greg Gavencky
Southern New Jersey Director
PT Owners Club

Greg Gavencky
Southern New Jersey Director
PT Owners Club
PTOC NJ Web Site

Old 03 May 2002, 10:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Grouch has it right...listen to him. They basically all use a K&N filter element, or one much like it, and if you get the cold air box, the filter is protected from heat and from a lot of the dirt that it'd normally encounter. Shop around and you can find a good deal. I got my Airaid used...found it for sale on these ptcruiserlinks.com forums.

RN

See Mephisto