Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Not blowing as cold as it did before

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2010, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C Not blowing as cold as it did before

Ok where to begin, we had a new short block put in our 07 cruiser. When it came back from shop ac wasn't working. They said it was the low pressure switch so I replaced it myself. After the replacement the car would shake and vibrate if you werent driving while the ac was on. The fan motor I thought was out again but we just had it replaced 8 months before the short block. The motor wasn't bad after all I read so posts on here and then tried some suggetions and wahlah it was working again but the ac isn't blowing as cold as it did before what could have caused this?
Old 05 Jun 2010, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Not blowing as cold as it did before

Well I thought the fan motor was working again but it isn't. It will come on and run fine for a while the ngo off and try to come back on and sometimes it will and stay on for a minute but it just won't stay on. Any thoughts about that and why my ac isn't blowing very cold
Old 05 Jun 2010, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You said it yourself, the fan isn't staying on. The fan should be on the whole time the A/C is engaged. The flowing air cools down the coolant in the condenser. Does is flow cool/colder when your driving down the highway at about 35+ mph?
Old 05 Jun 2010, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it will blow cold but not as cold as it did before it went into the shop. Also another question, could you explain to me where a thrust bearing is and what purpose it serves.
Old 05 Jun 2010, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You'll have to stop by a shop that specializes in A/C and have them check out your system. Most shops will do a free check.

As far as your thrust bearing, your probably referring to why you needed a short block replacement. The bearing is on the end of the crankshaft and if it goes, the first sign is an oil leak. Here's a thread with a PT owner and the same problem.

Front crank seal oil leak
Old 05 Jun 2010, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can the thrust beraing be replaced without pulling the crank or do you have to pull the crank?
Old 05 Jun 2010, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, don't know. Maybe someone reading this that has more technical experience can help.