PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating 2006

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2010, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Overheating 2006

I will try to make the story to my question short, it may not be possble though, seems I am long winded.lol
I have a 2006 which would occasionally overheat on long (over 60 mile) trips, never hit the red cause we would kick the heat on and the temp would go down. When this would happen we would always check the coolant and it would be fine. My husband decided it was the thermostat and about a week ago changed it out. The car ran fine for about a week, with no overheating. He drove the car 60 miles to work, car sat for ten hours and then about more then half way into his trip home car started to overheat. Brought it home and parked it for 2 days. I tried to take a 10 minute trip nothing over 40 mph and after 5 minutes the car went into the red, checked coolant and it was empty. refilled coolant and headed home, went into red again and heat started running cold but, temp would cool down at lights. A friend told him to burp the radiator, so he drained the coolant and tried burping (not sure he did it correctly) checked thermostat in boiling water and replaced radiator cap. Temp still over half way mark in idle and heat still running cold. Long story short.... he is determined it is the head gasket. There is not any sign of coolant in the oil nor water from exhaust. There seems to be no leaks as the car has sat in the same place for 3 days now and no fluids visible beneath. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what it may be other then head gasket so that we can try that fix instead of going straight for the big money fix.
If anyone could help? Thanks
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating 2006

First I woiuld highly recommend you bring it to someone who is knowladgable.

If your loosing coolant it has to be going somewhere??? Either on the ground or into the engine via a bad head gasket and or cracked head.

If your original owner, and have less than 70K miles I believe you have the power train covered.

In any case over heating is either bad fan or relay,hence running hot, low coolant, clogged radiator, bad T-stat..

It sounds like your loosing coolant and if it isnt on the ground then I would suspect a head gasket. You could have the system pressure checked and could have an oil analysis to see if coolant is in the oil? WHat does the oil on the dipstick look like?

For anyone reading this, overheating these engines and continuing to drive them will kill the engine in short order. It is best to bite the bullit and shut it down if you start to overheat and get it towed/ramped to the dealer or garage you trust and get an answer on the cause.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When replacing the coolant, was HOAT coolant used???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Jun 2010, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We have only lost coolant once due to boil over, otherwise coolant level has stayed on level.
As stated fan has been checked on both speeds, thermostat has been replaced and then removed and checked in boiling water to make sure it is opening correctly, along with a new cap. Oil is correct color no milkiness or foam. No water or smoke from tail pipe.
Overheats while driving but not in idle, heat coming out cold on full blast.
We are in the process of trying to burp the system once more. I just wanted to know if there were any other possible small causes for these symptoms, before we take it to a mechanic. My husband is handy with a wrench and knows his way around a car so, small stuff he can handle the large stuff goes to the people who know what they are doing.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 03:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarr View Post
We have only lost coolant once due to boil over, otherwise coolant level has stayed on level.
As stated fan has been checked on both speeds, thermostat has been replaced and then removed and checked in boiling water to make sure it is opening correctly, along with a new cap. Oil is correct color no milkiness or foam. No water or smoke from tail pipe.
Overheats while driving but not in idle, heat coming out cold on full blast.
We are in the process of trying to burp the system once more. I just wanted to know if there were any other possible small causes for these symptoms, before we take it to a mechanic. My husband is handy with a wrench and knows his way around a car so, small stuff he can handle the large stuff goes to the people who know what they are doing.
This is the way I got the air out of my system, I didn't use the bleeder, all I did was after I filled the radiator and overflow closed it up and started the car waited a minute and then with a big rubber glove and rag opened the radiator cap you will see if it flowing or boiling and the air will get out through the cap. Add more fluid if it boils over and then repeat the process if needed. Be warned you can get burnt really bad without the glove and the rag. This glove is meant for hot things and goes half way up my arm. Use only HOAT.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08 Jun 2010, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay...hoping it was just air in the system. Burped it a few times. Heat is now running hot and husband took car out on a highway drive with air conditioner blowing full blast. Temp gauge did not once move above halfway point. Knock on wood... I think we got it
Now the first chance we get this Prestone 50/50 is gonna be replaced with some HOAT.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 03:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How do I post a Question? I have an overheating issue of my own.

My 06 PT cruiser is overheating. I changed out the radiator cap & thermostat & the coolant level was fine, no loss of coolant. This took me an hour and a half so the engine had cooled significantly, then when I started the car the Temperature gauge was immediately all the way up to HOT & the car had not even run for 1 minute. I took off the radiator cap & looked to see if the coolant was circulating in case the water pump may have failed, but it seems to be circulating the coolant. My only other guess is the temperature sensor may be bad. When a mechanic changed my timing belt he had forgotten to plug in the temperature sensor wire, so the car always showed the temp as flat "Cold" once I plugged it in it showed it as right in the middle where it usually is. Could this wire have shorted out & caused the engine to "think" it was over heating?
Old 22 Feb 2013, 01:03 am
Senior Cruiser

To Jbarr: If you now have green/yellow antifreeze in your car, you must flush it all out before adding the hoat [orange color]. Including the engine block and heater core. Add hoat first [one half of cooling capacity] and then top off with distilled water.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The problem here has nothing to do with coolant brand. Your correct in not mixing the two. If host was so important to Chrysler, why then have they made it unavailable in many over seas country's? Chrysler as recently as the 04 model year said not to use synthetic oil. It's all about marketing fees. So use what you like and follow the recommend service intervals of that product. BTW this an old thread.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Feb 2013, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutliss420 View Post
How do I post a Question? I have an overheating issue of my own.

My 06 PT cruiser is overheating. I changed out the radiator cap & thermostat & the coolant level was fine, no loss of coolant. This took me an hour and a half so the engine had cooled significantly, then when I started the car the Temperature gauge was immediately all the way up to HOT & the car had not even run for 1 minute. I took off the radiator cap & looked to see if the coolant was circulating in case the water pump may have failed, but it seems to be circulating the coolant. My only other guess is the temperature sensor may be bad. When a mechanic changed my timing belt he had forgotten to plug in the temperature sensor wire, so the car always showed the temp as flat "Cold" once I plugged it in it showed it as right in the middle where it usually is. Could this wire have shorted out & caused the engine to "think" it was over heating?
If your gauge is pegged and you removed the cap without you being in the hospital with burns. I would say the sensor is bad. Pull the wire off to see if it reacts the same as before. If so buy a new sensor and let us know how things go.

Click on the new thread button to start a thread. Welcome.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Closed Thread