PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 - Turn signal/driving lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2010, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 - Turn signal/driving lights

Hi All,

Not sure if this is a problem, but, when I turn on the turn signals the driving light on that side turns off. For example, when I turn on the right turn signal the right driving light turns off. Is this normal? If not where would I start looking for an electrical problem.

Thanks, Steve
Old 10 Jun 2010, 06:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 - Turn signal/driving lights

TK, welcome to the Forum. IMHO, I think you should start by thinking about replacing your MF switch. That's Multi Function, by the way. The PT has a problem with that dang switch and many have had to change them. That is the stalk that your turn signals use. I do believe that there is a "sticky" posted on how to do that. Good Luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Jun 2010, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Hooligan is probably right about the MF switch but let me ask a question or two.

Is this PT a used car and did you recently purchase it? I say that because I'm wondering if the fog/driving lights were put in as an added accessory after the car came from the factory by the previous owner. We do have a lot of switches that go bad but I've never heard of the lights going out with the turn signal. Of course there's lots of things that I haven't heard of. I'm just wondering if they were wired up wrong. It just doesn't sound like a burnt out switch just mis-connected wires.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 08:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't pay any attention to the two above posts!

This is completely normal. The way the driving lights are designed, when you use your turn signal, the driving light on that side goes out while the turn signal is on. This is to make it easier to see the turn signal for cars ahead of you.

You'll also notice this feature in Town & Countries and 300's with driving lights.

Yours is functioning as designed.

Crewzin, the driving/running lights are part of the headlights, not the fogs

Last edited by heifetz17; 10 Jun 2010 at 08:56 am.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of the Chryslers do that nowadays. I think it's to make the turn signal more noticeable during the day by turning off the Daytime Running Lights.

Maybe a Canadian thing??? Do you have Daytime Runing Lights on US cars yet?
Old 10 Jun 2010, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I have a problem with that answer. My fogs/driving lights stay ON when I use the turn signals. I just proved it by going out to the garage and putting all the lights on and using the turn signals. None of the other lights went out.

Maybe a Canadian thing??? Do you have Daytime Running Lights on US cars yet?

Depends on which cars. Lots of them do have the DRL's nowaday.

heifetz17, Some people call them driving lights, others call them fogs. To me the fogs would be yellow, whereas driving lights are white, but to get a point across I call them fog/driving.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Jun 2010 at 10:08 am.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 02:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, I have a problem with that answer. My fogs/driving lights stay ON when I use the turn signals. I just proved it by going out to the garage and putting all the lights on and using the turn signals. None of the other lights went out.

Maybe a Canadian thing??? Do you have Daytime Running Lights on US cars yet?

Depends on which cars. Lots of them do have the DRL's nowaday.

heifetz17, Some people call them driving lights, others call them fogs. To me the fogs would be yellow, whereas driving lights are white, but to get a point across I call them fog/driving.
The fogs are not intended to go out when you have a turn signal on. The daytime running lights (part of the headlights) go out when you have a turn signal on. This is so the light from the DRL doesn't interfere with the visibility of the turn signal.

Yes, US cars can have the DRLs activated by any dealer. I have them on mine. They're just not mandated here like they are in Canada.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I see it now (said the blind man). The first post is from Canada and he's talking about the DRL and not what I was calling the fog/driving light.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks All, yes I am from Canada so that must explain the confusion, sorry. I should have mentioned that in my post as there seems to be differences. I will have to pay attention to Chrysler cars as I haven't noticed this before, it seems like an unnecessary complication.
Steve
Old 10 Jun 2010, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

TK, I see that you have filled out your profile, that would have helped originally!!! Thanks.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar