Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
headlights and power locks stopped working now car wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2010, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default headlights and power locks stopped working now car wont start

one day i went bowling around 2:30 am then at 4 i wanted to go to walmart and my headlights and power locks stopped working and everything else worked, i put a new battery in it cause i got it tested and it said the battery was bad. theyh started working again then they stopped again, one of my friends were looking at the fuses and when i woke up the next day the car wouldnt start it wouldnt do anything all it did when i turned the key all it did was beep would not turn on, idk whats wrong maybe they messed a fuse up for the starting problem but the headlights i just dont understand, anybody got any suggestions???

also i forgot to mention when i turn the knob for the headlights, the interior lights wont light up either. its a 2002 pt cruiser with about 112000 miles on it

Last edited by nccaneskerr; 13 Jun 2010 at 07:14 pm.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: headlights and power locks stopped working now car wont start

After deciphering your post, evaluating your problems, my first thought is that you need an experienced mechanic and don't rely on your friends. Without knowing more about your car, what I do know is that your way overdue for a timing belt change and it's a possibility that it snapped not allowing you to start the engine.

You could also have a charging system problem if the new battery went dead again right after you bought it. You need to find a good, decent honest mechanic that will diagnose your problems. We can take good guesses at it but it needs someone to look over everything and help you out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i got it towed to a mechanic and they said the battery is 100 percent full, but they dont kno why it wont start there saying its my starter but then they checked it and its not gettin any power to the started so idk wats wrong, i was told it could be the alternator, also was told my car may need all new wiring so im not sure, im hoping its a fuse r maybe a wire got burnt on the engine or a short in a wire.

also, i just got a new timing belt on it about a year ago because i had to replace the water pump so i wouldnt think it would be that
Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It sounds like they are just making guesses at it. They should be able to tell right away if it's the alternator. You have 2 fuse boxes on the PT. One in the engine compartment under the air filter. It has a 30amp fuse for ignition start. Why did they say it needs all new wiring. Can they show you where the old harness is burnt out. Do you trust this place?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

not at all, i nvr even been there u see i moved to a new town so idk any good mechanics, im hoping a dealership may know, the guy at the garage said when he looked at the fuses he noticed that a wire was missing and he said it looks like it was never there, it doesnt make any sense
Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, hard to tell from here and harder to tell what the previous owner did to the car. If he said it looks like it was never there then what the heck is he telling you about needing new wiring? You might pay a lot more, but I'd try to get it to a Chrysler or Dodge dealer.

Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yea thats what im doing, i appreciate ur help when i find out whats wrong with it i will post to let people know, also i have on more thing u think it could be the relay switch since i also heard that 02 pt cruisers had a recall for the relay switch. i dont not kno if the relay switch could stop the headlights to work and the car not to run, but its really upsetting
Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, there is no recall for any kind of relay switch. There's only been I believe 5 recalls and all for SAFETY (life saving) things. They might have put out a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on certain items which just tells the Chrysler techs how to go about fixing something that a lot of owners are complaining about. There's hundreds of TSB's on ALL cars. It's not free, it's just information to the dealers.

And as you said, if it was the starter relay, it would have nothing to to with dead batteries or headlights not working.

Old 14 Jun 2010, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When your friend was looking at the fuses, I wonder IF it was something that was not put back correctly. It is funny that it started before he looked at the fuses and it wouldn't start.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar