PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newly purchased 2003 PT Cuiser Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2010, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to ptbetty
Default Newly purchased 2003 PT Cuiser Turbo

I am a complete newbie to all of this..I am one of those women who runs to the dealership for everything but times are hard and they rip you off...so i'm trying to learn how to do a lot of things myself. Not that you have some background. I just purchased a 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo with 90,000 miles on it about 2 weeks ago. As I have been driving I have noticed a couple of issues that I need to have addressed and would like some advice on where to get started. The first thing I noticed was how loud the Turbo was. I am told that could be fairly normal but it just seems odd that it should almost drown out the radio. Also, I have rough idle with a/c on. I read in another post about some different options to look at to fix that one. I took it to Goodyear to get a diagnostic and they told me brakes and wheel bearings need replacing. Is this something I can do myself with the right tools. The last thing is should i invest in a Tune up right now just to be sure all is in working order? Any maintenance advice is appreciated!!! lol thanx
Old 14 Jun 2010, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Newly purchased 2003 PT Cuiser Turbo

Welcome Betty to the Forum!!!
I know nothing about turbos, but someone here will know.
Not to knock Goodyear, but I know from experience that they will ALWAYS find something to repair on any car. That said, wheel bearings are some thing I wouldn't try myself and I have many years working on cars. Brakes: front or back? Fronts can be tricky but if you are a little mechanical it can be done by you. The rear shoes or pads as well. I would suggest using ceramic pads as they provide less dust.

Did the PT come from a dealer or private owner? Did you get any of the paperwork of what work has been done? With that many miles, IF it hasn't been done, you will need to replace the timing belt and water pump, as Chrysler recommends doing that at 100,000 miles. That will run you $800-1200 including labor. When you get that done make sure the mechanic has done this before as it is a very tricky procedure, it is easy to be 1 tooth off and it will have to be reassembled correctly.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Jun 2010, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to ptbetty

Thats what I was thinking about Goodyear. I am going to have a mechanic look at it before I do anything else. I purchased it from a dealership. I need to get them to send me the maintenance that they did when they got the car. They told me the stuff but I honestly I listened for serious issues only cause the guy just talked sooo much..lol. Thank you though for all of the information. I am going to get that information from the dealer and go from there.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 02:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Turbo shouldn't be that loud but it's very possible the previous owner put in aftermarket air filter on that would increase the flow of air to the throttle body and that rush of air through a hollow tube make a lot of noise.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.