PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Issue

2004 PT Cuiser 145k miles automatic

For a few months occasionaly when going from park to drive or reverse it would not engage. MOving the shift back into park and back into gear again it would engage.

About a month ago I got a Trans flush and fill.

Today I was headed to work and getting off the highway and was waiting at the offramp and with my brakes on, when it was time to move again I hit the gas the the car jerked and went into neutral, I couldn't get it back in drive, I tried turning the car off and on and moved the shifter back and forth a bit and finaly after a big jerk it kicked in again.

I'm hoping I can limp home without incident but anyone have any ideas? I checked the Trans fluid level and it is fine, I also tried checking for codes and all it says is "done". Does it sound like a cable fix or more unfortunate?

Last edited by Dhycin; 14 Jun 2010 at 09:34 am.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Issue

Welcome to the forums.
I think you already know what the odds are.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

RIP at 144k, had it for 125k miles, giving it away practicaly in a trade in just can't keep up with the fixes any more, cracked rim, needs struts, this tranny issue and some funny noises from the engine , had fixed motor mounts and all sort of front end components(and AC!!!!) in the last 18 months blah. was great for space. Though I ran into allot of issues the last 30k or so, I may end up seeing another one in the furure, they are so affordable these days and the space is a real draw, 2 feats of space, 1: A 5 peice patio set fit in it, 4 chairs, a lounge and the table(already put together), and recently 6 sheets of 1/4" 4'x8' subloor. Will miss that space with the wifes new sebring conv taking it's place :P

Last edited by Dhycin; 15 Jun 2010 at 10:51 am.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 01:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhycin View Post
RIP at 144k, had it for 125k miles, giving it away practicaly in a trade in just can't keep up with the fixes any more, cracked rim, needs struts, this tranny issue and some funny noises from the engine , had fixed motor mounts and all sort of front end components(and AC!!!!) in the last 18 months blah. was great for space. Though I ran into allot of issues the last 30k or so, I may end up seeing another one in the furure, they are so affordable these days and the space is a real draw, 2 feats of space, 1: A 5 peice patio set fit in it, 4 chairs, a lounge and the table(already put together), and recently 6 sheets of 1/4" 4'x8' subloor. Will miss that space with the wifes new sebring conv taking it's place :P

It's a shame she is a beauty, you would be better putting money into the PT and getting rid of the Sebring, now that was one of the worst cars ever made, it's pretty but the engines have sludge issues that will cause the engine to go. That 2.7 is notorious.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 15 Jun 2010, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. haha, well wife finaly gets her convertible and not my hand me down mile abused commuting car(crosses fingers on sludge) and when the dreadful neon I'm schleping it to work in now on finally dies I'll likely get another PT to deck out