Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2010, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt wont start

I have a 2002 PT and just yesterday it stalled out in a drivethru. It turns over but does not fire. I pulled the code and its p o522. Which is oil sensor. Would this cause the car to just completely shut down? Help please
Old 14 Jun 2010, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Pt wont start

Is this something that is an easy fix too?
Old 14 Jun 2010, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles? Possibly broken timing belt.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Jun 2010, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a search and can't find anywhere where the engine won't start with that particular code but I really do believe you BECAUSE, just two weeks ago a woman in a 2002-03 cruiser came to light and the engine died and the oil light came on. I directed traffic around her and told her how to retrieve the codes. Sure enough it was the P0522. She tried several times and it wouldn't start. I called for a wrecker and she called her husband who wanted it towed to a Chrysler dealer. While waiting, she tried again and it started but I told her to shut it down in case there really was a problem with the oil flow and she didn't want to burn up the engine. Later, I stopped in at the dealer and asked questions. They couldn't find anything wrong ....but they changed the oil presser sensor anyway /// dealer do that! Off she went home with a towing bill and the Chrysler bill for sensor and labor.

Never did find out if anything was really wrong and why it stalled and wouldn't start. I know this doesn't help, but I also found out there's TSB on false codes and not starting ....

TSB Number: 1802603A NHTSA Number: 10003985 TSB Date: September 12, 2003 Date Added to File: November 10, 2003
Failing Component:
Engine And Engine Cooling:Engine
Summary:
Engine no start (engine will start immediately after cycling the ignition key), malfunction indicator lamp illumination with false diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0016, P0116, P0335, P0339, P0340, P0462, P0498, P0499, P0522, P0622, P1604
Old 14 Jun 2010, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan, there 95k on it. Crewzin, thanks. I let it sit overnight and went to try and start it and nothing. Still turns over but wont fire.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chris,

Are you handy? Hooligan might me right with the timing belt because we recommend to everyone to change the belt at or before 100K.

To test that out, do you know where the Camshaft sensor is? On the top right side of the engine (see pic). If you take off the outer part, you be able to see the end of one of the overhead cams. Have someone hit the starter and watch the cam end, if it doesn't spin, the timing belt is broken.

Old 15 Jun 2010, 08:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok. so the shop just called me and said its the timing belt. he said thats it is and interference engine but ive been reading thats its a non. with this said, my engine could be shot from this? i find that hard to believe. any suggestions?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisohan View Post
ok. so the shop just called me and said its the timing belt. he said thats it is and interference engine but ive been reading thats its a non. with this said, my engine could be shot from this? i find that hard to believe. any suggestions?
Chances are that the engine will NOT be shot. It is possible you may have bent valves, BUT it is not probable.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Jun 2010, 09:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisohan View Post
Remove your car from this shop, because they know nothing. Bring it to a mechanic who knows PT's or will at least look up the right information before making a fool out of himself. The timing belt sometimes is better left to a dealer that knows the PT.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Remove your car from this shop, because they know nothing. Bring it to a mechanic who knows PT's or will at least look up the right information before making a fool out of himself. The timing belt sometimes is better left to a dealer that knows the PT.

X2. It sounds like they are looking to replace parts at your expense before they even get a chance to look at it.