PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instument panel loses power, then all lights flash???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Instument panel loses power, then all lights flash???

Hi everyone,
I have a 2006 non-turbo. It has 95k miles.
Recently, I have been losing power to the instrument panel briefly while driving and at a stop. It only happens for a couple of seconds, then all the instruments and panel lights flash and come back on. At first the car didnt lose power, but recently it also started losing power for a few seconds. The car starts right up when I first turn it on. I orginally thought it was because my battery terminals were a bit corroded, so I replaced those and put anti-corrosion spray on the new ones. The battery is about a year old. My next thought is the alternator, but that wouldnt explain the loss of power then the power returning would it? I hope is isnt the ecu. I wanted to put a higher amp alternator in the car (I run an aftermarket stereo and a small amp), but wanted to make sure the problem is or would be resolved first?
Can anyone help me please?
Thank you for any help
Old 16 Jun 2010, 04:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Instument panel loses power, then all lights flash???

Ok, I followed the instructions regarding getting the error code, and the code was P0138 HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2?
Where is it and how do I replace/fix it?

Thank you
Old 16 Jun 2010, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your code has nothing to do with your problem. That's the code for one of the two Oxygen sensors.

Now your going to ask me about your problem and I really don't have a good answer. An intermittent electrical problem is one of the hardest to diagnose, especially over the internet. Usually it's a grounding fault but where to start is a good guess.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Jun 2010 at 04:15 pm.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 04:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

What is your opinion that my problem is?
It doesnt seem like a bad alternator would give those symptons but I could definetly be wrong
Old 16 Jun 2010, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I added more to my first answer but I don't think it's going to help.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 04:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Do you think the oxygen sensor code is an immediate problem? Should I replace the sensor(s)?
FYI: the power cutting off problem hasn't happened for 2 days, so you might be right about the bad ground cause.

Last edited by Samson; 16 Jun 2010 at 04:29 pm.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take the negative battery cable off again for about 5 minutes. That will clear the O2 sensor code. Then if the engine light comes on again, and it's the 02 sensor, then worry about replacing it.

Old 16 Jun 2010, 05:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 12:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok I think I got this one figured out.
This issue seems to be fairly common. I found multiple occurrences of this online, especially with 06 non-turbo.
I thought that the symptoms seemed just like when the ignition was turned off then on again, so I took off the steering wheel under panel. When I moved the ignition wires around that sit on top of the metal plate that is under the steering wheel with the key turned on, I instantly replicated what was happening (i.e. dash lights coming on, gauges off). It seems like the ignition wires were affected by sitting on top of the metal plate. I seperated the wires, coated the inside of the metal plate with electrical tape, and the problem seems to have gone away.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, we have heard of the wires being the culprit to shorting out things, especially the radio. Sometimes it's a matter of moving the adjustable steering wheel which in turn moves the wires and stretches them causing the fault. Thanks for getting back to us with what you found.