Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Non-turbo key fob lockout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2010, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Non-turbo key fob lockout

Hey folks, I'm new to this forum, but it's high time I joined. My wife has an '06 non turbo which we bought used a couple years ago. When we bought it, we noticed that she had to start it several times in order to get it to run, and were told its a security precaution...after research we learned of the lockout system - if the PCM doesn't recognize the RF signature in the key, it'll kill the engine after three seconds. Six failed attempts completely locks it out. So everything was fine until a month ago. We'd had intermitent issues, but usually after a couple attempts, it'd fire up. Just to be clear, this is (as far as I know, and I consider myself a pretty good weekend mechanic) not an electrical issue - everything in the ignition system 'seems' fine. In the last month, this issue has locked her out of the car twice, and me once (when she had to take my truck to work and I made the mistake of taking her car to the store). After about 20 mins or so (not sure) the lockout stops, and it'll fire back up. I thought after the first time that it was simply a weak battery sending a weak RF signal, but after switching it out a couple weeks ago, we're getting the same symptoms. I've heard through the Northeastern North Carolina Rural Great Vine (I think it's copyrighted), that this is a known issue with no known resolution other than reprogramming the PCM - this is a few hundred bucks, and this currently unemployed medically discharged veteran can't afford it. I looked for similar threads, but didn't see anything. Any help is surely appreciated by both my wife and I. Thanks to all for the great info here, and I look forward to helping others any way I can.

Frank
Old 17 Jun 2010, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Non-turbo key fob lockout

Frank, welcome to the forum.

Personally, after reading what you said, I can't see where it has anything to do with the lockout function. That shuts the car down, as you said, after it's running for a few seconds when it doesn't recognize the right key. Yours sounds like it just won't start and you had to start it a few times before it would run. It wouldn't run after those few seconds if it was the lockout function.

You bought the car used. Was it completely tuned up (plugs and wires) anytime after you bought it? If it's the original ignition parts, they aren't very good (crap is the word most people use) and changing both the plugs and wires has solved many problems for owners.

Lockout function or not, the engine should start at the first turn of the key, period.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 09:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback, Crewzin (as well as your sticky's - I've already downloaded a couple of the manuals you posted ). I have replaced the plugs and wires, but wasn't clear on the problem - my fault! It will start, run for three seconds, then shut off. And there's no issue with starting - unlike a Honda, which seems to cycle about five times before ignition, it'll fire right up. Then, after five or six (can't remember, but it's constant - my wife would be able to tell me if she were here) attempts, that's when the PCM completely shuts it down and it won't even attempt to turn over. After 20 mins or so, it will go back to the three second shutdown. After the first 'episode', I did some research online and found out about this feature, which has a specific name that of course I don't recall (something to do with Sentry, if memory serves).

Thanks again for your input, and I hope you and yours are having a good Friday!
Frank
Old 18 Jun 2010, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

After a little search I've found that it's called a couple different names. Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer and Sentry Key theft deterrent system and it sounds like you may have to have the key reprogrammed. Do yo have a second key for the PT? Did you try that one?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We have two keys, and we've tried trading them off, but still get random intermittent moments of non-cooperation. Normally I'll slew a string of obscenities (I believe that's part of the ASE Certification program, btw, because at times it seems to work...well, my blood pressure drops a few points, anyway), we wait it out, and it works fine again, cranking over like nothing was ever wrong. The research I did confirmed what you said, but like I said, I'm an unemployed vet and am trying to avoid the expensive reprogramming cost. I was just hoping someone else had this problem, but from the lack of response by anyone aside from Crewzin (whom I thank again!) it seems no one has had this same experience...Just having a hard time thinking I'm the only one with an '06 lemon! LOL. Thanks again for the input, and as promised, if there's any info I can provide, I'm always happy to. Hope y'all are having a great weekend!