Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where is the SKIM module?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2010, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Arrow Where is the SKIM module?

been having lots of fun: the actuator between the ignition and the engine broke, so no way to turn my car off. Since that part is not sold separately from the steering column, found a new steering column and put the whole thing in, including the new ignition switch.....and of course it came with a new key........the fancy dancy gray key.
so, when the car was started, it did the "run for 2 second thing" and shut down.......
I think my mechanic tried to put the old ignition switch in, but what's in there now is still the new one.

I told the dealer to put the old switch in (and he of course is telling me I'm stupid) but I assume the SKIM is part of that switch........but maybe not.
(the dealer is saying I should spend 1300 for a new ECM, and new instrument cluster something......)

where is the darn SKIM???

Thanks in advance.......
Old 18 Jun 2010, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Where is the SKIM module?

I tried doing a search and from what I can understand, the SKIM is part of the PCM (Computer). I may be wrong but none of the information I could find talked about the SKIM being a separate module that could be replaced.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 12:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The SKIM is not part of the PCM. It's a seperate module that attaches directly to the upper steering column.

1) Halo trim ring
2) Mounting bolts
3) SKIM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skim.jpg (16.8 KB, 220 views)
Old 19 Jun 2010, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
The SKIM is not part of the PCM. It's a seperate module that attaches directly to the upper steering column.

1) Halo trim ring
2) Mounting bolts
3) SKIM
Thanks for clearing that up. As I said, I search didn't provide a lot of information on it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Jun 2010, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Where is the SKIM module?

THanks, so, since I installed a steering column that had the immobilizer attached to it, and the immobilizer has a mounting bracket, it appears there is a way to remove it.........then once it's removed, as long as the key I use matches the ignition tumbler it won't report SKIM information and so the car should start, right????

the dealer said having the SKIM module in there "burned up" the ECM and instrument cluster, but previous threads and the great description here about how the immobilizer module works says that as soon as nothing is "mismatched" the car should run fine................

thanks for all the help! (this and the access to the service manuals has been great!) This forum is
Old 04 May 2011, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm told by a noted PT/Srt hotrod guru (Nemo Foss) that the SKIM can simply be unplugged. The PCM will just go about it's business without it.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 07:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Where is the SKIM module?

I looked in my PT today and my SKIM module is MIA?????....The car has been running with a non-chipped key(black),the plug for the SKIM module is taped out of the way(taped up to other the wires on the column),and there is a clean spot with 2 empty mounting bolt holes kinda under the MFS area on the column where the a SKIM module was at one time!.......I recently purchased an RKE module(and new fob & 2 chipped keys) to eventually get the power door locks functioning again(since RKE was MIA also?)but haven't installed the RKE yet...Now I'm wondering why all of this would have been done to my PT by the previous owner?....What reason could they have for removing the SKIM module,the RKE module???.....Also;They must have had the PCM re-programmed after removing them,because from what I've read,if you remove the SKIM after it has been paired up with the PCM the ignition immobilizer kicks in.....I'm confused trying to figure all this weirdness out!......Any suggestions.or hypothesis???
Old 09 Jul 2013, 12:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

The 2003 base model did not have SKIM or RKEM as standard features; they were available as package options*.
The SKIM connector is there in the wiring harness, either tied back at the factory or fitted to the customer's package option.
My hypothesis is that your car left the factory without SKIM and you will need programming.

*Source: "PT Cruiser, Chrysler's Classic Design for a Modern Age" by Robert Ackerson, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I looked in my PT today and my SKIM module is MIA?????...The car has been running with a non-chipped key(black),the plug for the SKIM module is taped out of the way(taped up to other the wires on the column),...What reason could they have for removing the SKIM module,the RKE module???...I'm confused trying to figure all this weirdness out!......Any suggestions.or hypothesis???
Old 09 Jul 2013, 12:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

I think it did have SKIM & RKE;Because it has power door locks(not working),and after checking everything I discovered a clean 'dusty' square in the RKE space w/2 screws finger thght there....Also,after removing the steering column trim I noticed the key cylinder is missing the black plastic that goes around it,the taping of the SKIM plug is definately a 'DIY/home job'(not like all the other MFG electrical tape),the actual steel steering column has a little rust on it except where the mounting bracket for the SKIM used to be.........What are the problems I would encounter if I buy a SKIM and install it?....Will I have problems if I install the RKE I already have?...I'm stumped on what to do first.
Old 09 Jul 2013, 01:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Looking at my key cylinder when it was in place,there was about an 1/8 inch gap in the grey plastic surrounding it,and I thought that it was odd I could see inside....Now I know why;My cylinder was missing the black plastic like you see in this photo,and the SKIM halo/antenna goes around it. 2001 PT Cruiser Complete Ignition Switch Key with Security Immobiliser Mod | eBay........This is the missing part I'm talking about that goes around the cylinder to fill the little gap: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...4664232AA.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKIM01.jpg (75.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by randyincctx; 09 Jul 2013 at 01:54 am. Reason: additional info

Tags
skim ecm pcm