Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where to buy Timing belt/tensioner/water pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2010, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Where to buy Timing belt/tensioner/water pump

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and don't actually drive the 2001 Cruiser , but my wife does, or, at least, did until it decided to stop functioning while driving. I suspect it's the timing belt since
1)All fuses are good
2)Can hear fuel pump pressurizing the system
3)Spark is present at all plugs
4)Pulled cap off timing belt cover and those gears are not turning when trying to crank engine.

So, since bringing it down to a professional mechanic is out of the question due to the sheer cost factor, it looks like it's up to this weekend mechanic to take a crack at it. I've been reading some threads on here that suggest replacing the tensioner and water pump at the same time. Seems like good advice.

The only advice I need is where to go to buy the parts; Timing belt, Tensioner and Water pump?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith
Old 18 Jun 2010, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Where to buy Timing belt/tensioner/water pump

Keith, welcome to the Forum!!! Try rockauto.com for the best prices. It is NOT a easy job.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Jun 2010, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Hooligan. I bought all my parts there. www.RockAuto.com You might want to pick up the serpentine and alternator belts while your doing the job.

Also take a look at this sticky that's on the top of the Tech section. As Hooligan said: It's not an easy job.

Timming Belt Change Help-Getting to tensioner

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick replies. Oh, I know it's not an easy job. I've been reviewing the internet about how best to go about it and that would be to pay someone else. Unfortunately, I don't have that option. I don't think the job is too far out of my league. I've had to replace just about everything on the outside of my '94 Mustang and my Father is a certified AC guy, granted he's residential and not auto. It will be a nice bonding experience. Plus, I'm tired of my wife putting miles on my car.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Where to buy Timing belt/tensioner/water pump

I too couldn't get the belt over the 2nd generation tensioner!!!!

I read nearly every post on many sites none of which helped. I measured the diameter of the old and new tensioner and they were within 6 thousandths of each other.... so that's not the problem.

What I determind is that there is no way you can get the 2nd generation belt tensioner to retract far enough to get the belt over it.

So I removed the tensioner roller from it's bracket by loosening and removing it's pivot bolt.... and set it aside.

First, I made sure that the crankshaft was alinged with crankcase mark on the back edge of the crankshaft tooth.

Second, I made sure the right side valve cam sprocket mark was horizonal.... I did this by aligning a flexable metal ruler across the center of each valve cam sprocket bolt....

Third, I then threaded the timing belt around the crankshaft sprocket... the water pump... the timing belt pivot pulley.... and the right side valve cam sprocket.... at that point placed a small visegrip on the timing belt and right side valve cam sprocket.... this held the belt and the crank and right side valve cam from moving.

I then positioned the left side valve cam sprocket one half tooth below the right side valve cam sprocket, positioned the belt over the left side cam and reinstalled the belt tensioner roller making sure the tensioner spring was between the mounting bracket tangs. I removed the small visegrip... tensioned the tensioner as per instructions .... turned the the crankshaft two revolutions and everything align as it should.

So there is no magic way to pre-position the 2nd generation tensioner