Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Cable Assy - did I get taken?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2010, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Cable Assy - did I get taken?

Yesterday, the wife's '05 PT was having some trouble starting while I was using it for some errands around town. When I got back to the house, I opened the hood and found the negative terminal to be pretty well corroded. So, I tried to remove the clamp from the terminal and I pretty much fell apart. I didn't have the time to spend researching parts prices, etc, in order to do the work myself, so I took it to the deal. (Yeah, I know, that's my first mistake.) It was late in the day, so they didn't get to until this morning. When they called to give me the estimate, I got this crazy $320 price for the whole battery cable assembly. I questioned him on it and he said, "yeah, there's some extra ground wires on there", or something like that. I didn't take him to task on the price, but just took his word on it.

Now that I've had some time to think through how it's possible that something so "simple" as a battery cable assembly could be so much, I'm posting here to get some thoughts. I tried searching and found a few numbers on some other posts, around the $65-100 range. But, $320? Is this just a gross mistake on their part? The part number on my invoice is '4795349-AA' and the description is 'WIRING BA 8015002'. Not sure if any of you have resources to look that up, but figured I would post what I have. If this was a mistake, I'll be going back to get some money back, no doubt.

Thanks in advance!
Old 18 Jun 2010, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Cable Assy - did I get taken?

Depending on how much time they spent on replacing the harness, it could run a couple hours labor. My dealer here in Florida charges $90 an hour.

If you look in the General PT Discussions part of the forum, one owner was just quoted $221.00 for the dealer to replace a light bulb in his dash.

Don't be surprised at any price the dealer gives you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Jun 2010 at 09:23 pm.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Labor cost was $190. Just that part is listed on my invoice at $322. JUST THE PART!! Being that it's the dealer, no, I'm not surprised. But, seriously, that MUST be a mistake. It may be specially designed for this car, but I just have a hard time believing it's really $322.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 10:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Wow...unbelievable! Just recently replaced the skinny original battery cables on my PT as a precautionary upgrade with generic replacement 4 guage copper cables from the auto parts store for less than $30.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I called the dealer this morning, just to have them verify the cost of the part. They faxed me a copy of the parts sheet, which shows the description and the pricing. Sure 'nuff, it's $322.00. It's a Mopar part, so that's their reasoningo for it being so expensive, whatever that means. Man, I tell ya, if this ain't price-gouging, I don't know what is.

I will say they did offer to give me a refund of 10%, in addition to a free oil change and tire rotation on the next visit. I accepted, just so I can say I got something out of it. The CS rep was understanding of my complaint, so at least I feel better about it. Guess this will help get to look under her hood more frequently.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Battery Cable Assy - did I get taken?

I am willing to drive 45 miles to my dealer west of OKCity (Kingfisher).
They fixed the same problem (corrosion, and wire shorted off) two years ago.
The tech there was able to repair it for $80! Still holding strong!
Nothing like a great service dept.!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 08:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Zoom, make sure you spray battery cable protector on the ends of the cables when the work is finished. Use CRC Battery Terminal Protector. It's the best. Permatex didn't work for squat. If you don't do this, you're in for another shock in the future.

You'd think Chrysler could have afforded to provide one of those red rubber sleeve protectors on the positive cable--but they didn't. And since the air cleaner body covers the battery, I suspect the hydrogen gasses stay trapped for too long, due to the cover, itself.

I had the dealer replace my cable harness at 45,000 miles. It was in the same shape as you described. They charged $238.00. So your dealer is really ripping you off (more so than mine).

But I've since found this forum--and you can find instructions on how to replace the battery cable harness, yourself. You might give it a try ... then squirt the cable ends with CRC (it's in a yellow can).

Tim