Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing transmission fluid and filter?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2010, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Changing transmission fluid and filter?

Hello,

I have a 2001 pt and, i recently purchased a tranny filter and fluid to change out, The car has 145,000 miles and i dont know if the tranny has been serviced before. One of my buddies seems to think that if i change the filter and fluid that it could potentially cause slippage or damage? any thoughts on this or is there anything to worry about?
Old 19 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Changing transmission fluid and filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnw05 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2001 pt and, i recently purchased a tranny filter and fluid to change out, The car has 145,000 miles and i dont know if the tranny has been serviced before. One of my buddies seems to think that if i change the filter and fluid that it could potentially cause slippage or damage? any thoughts on this or is there anything to worry about?
That's one school of thought, but if it was me I would still do it. Just make sure you use the right fluid for Chrysler.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 20 Jun 2010, 12:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

This can be a very touchy issue if you're not careful. Is the transmission currently having any issues? Slipping, hard shifting, jolting, anything at all? If the answer is yes, do not service it! If the tranny is functioning properly, you'll be fine.

Quite often people will service their trannys when the start having issues hoping for a quick and cheap fix. What happens is when the tranny starts to wear, the clutch packs need the friction provided by the dirty fluid to operate. When you service it and introduce new, clean fluid into it, there's no that friction that there was with the dirty fluid, eventually leading to failure of the tranny.

If you don't have any issues, though, go for it.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 03:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

tcnw05:

I had the dealer change my auto. trans. fluid on my 2003 PT at 50,000 miles (just cause I think thats about enough to ask of auto trans. fluid). I didn't know about this forum at the time--else I would have changed the fluid myself. Also, a "filter" change was required. Anyway, since I had no manual at the time, I let the dealer do the job.

After the change, as soon as I drove the car away from the dealer's lot I noticed that the gear changing times had been altered. The trans. simply didn't change gears at the times I was accustomed to. So when I got home I called the dealer shop--and they said "oops". They had apparently forgotton to "re-learn" the trans.--a necessary item that needs to be done when changing the fluid and filter on PT's. The next day I took it back to their shop. They shot it with their software program (it took about five minutes), and then the trans. shifted just as it had when I first drove it into the dealer.

So, bottom line, if you change your fluid and filter yourself, take it to the dealer afterwards and have them re-learn your tranny.

By the way, I have no idea why Chrysler made this step a part of changing the fluid, but I've seen the results of no "relearning".

As far as NOT changing your fluid until something goes wrong, when I read that here, I was reminded of my brother's theory concerning "preventative maintenance". That is to say that when my brother's car "prevents" him from actually using his car--then and only then does he maintain it.

Go figure....

Tim
Old 24 Jun 2010, 07:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
tcnw05:

I had the dealer change my auto. trans. fluid on my 2003 PT at 50,000 miles (just cause I think thats about enough to ask of auto trans. fluid). I didn't know about this forum at the time--else I would have changed the fluid myself. Also, a "filter" change was required. Anyway, since I had no manual at the time, I let the dealer do the job.

After the change, as soon as I drove the car away from the dealer's lot I noticed that the gear changing times had been altered. The trans. simply didn't change gears at the times I was accustomed to. So when I got home I called the dealer shop--and they said "oops". They had apparently forgotton to "re-learn" the trans.--a necessary item that needs to be done when changing the fluid and filter on PT's. The next day I took it back to their shop. They shot it with their software program (it took about five minutes), and then the trans. shifted just as it had when I first drove it into the dealer.

So, bottom line, if you change your fluid and filter yourself, take it to the dealer afterwards and have them re-learn your tranny.

By the way, I have no idea why Chrysler made this step a part of changing the fluid, but I've seen the results of no "relearning".

As far as NOT changing your fluid until something goes wrong, when I read that here, I was reminded of my brother's theory concerning "preventative maintenance". That is to say that when my brother's car "prevents" him from actually using his car--then and only then does he maintain it.

Go figure....

Tim
I bought the fluid and filter and paid Pep Boys to change the filter and flush the transmission with the machine to get all the old fluid out. My PT rode and shifted smooth as silk with no retraining needed.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 24 Jun 2010, 10:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Cool Re: Changing transmission fluid and filter?

Hey guys and Gals. I Just changed my filter and fluid today. It was VERY easy to do! She's an 01 with just 51,000 and change on the ticker. Havn't driven the car yet. Had to go to work, But I'll see what happens tomorrow when I take her for a spin. See! I luv this site! I would have never known to even consider the tranny "Re-learning" program.. If I need it! I'll be knocking on my dealer shop door first thing..
Old 28 Jun 2010, 02:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Pitty Pat update, As I said last week! Changed the fluid and filter myself. Dropped the pan, changed the filter, RTV the pan and back on it went, Filled the tranny using the dipstick tube. Much easier then finding the filler plug WAY DOWN under all that STUFF under the hood. ANyway! NO problems at all after 300 plus miles. SO! don't let the tranny fluid change scare you. Get under there and knock it out..
Old 28 Jun 2010, 04:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Pittypay, it seems the dealer that changed my fluid and told me the subsequent gear-change problem was because they forgot to "re-learn" the transmission, was mistaken--or else they just forgot to do something else besides re-program the trans.

Good to know.

By the way, I was not aware that there was a fill plug for the auto trans., and assumed that it was always filled from the filler tube....

Tim
Old 28 Jun 2010, 11:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Pittypat View Post
Pitty Pat update, As I said last week! Changed the fluid and filter myself. Dropped the pan, changed the filter, RTV the pan and back on it went, Filled the tranny using the dipstick tube. Much easier then finding the filler plug WAY DOWN under all that STUFF under the hood. ANyway! NO problems at all after 300 plus miles. SO! don't let the tranny fluid change scare you. Get under there and knock it out..
You can only get half the fluid out with just a drain and refill, the dealer and other places have a machine that will get it all out and replaced with new. What you did was good though but the next time your do you should have it flushed

Old 29 Jun 2010, 08:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Or they can disconnect one of the lines to the cooler and do a cooler lin flush or in a few months go back under and drop the pan again and inspect and throw in another filter.

Most critical thing when changing the fluid is not to over fill it.

One should also consider a B&M bulkhead style drain plug. When you have the pan off, add the plug. Then when you change oil you could drain and refill the trans and keep the fluid fresh.
mole likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2