PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 PT - Starts, runs, stalls...won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2010, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2001 PT - Starts, runs, stalls...won't start

So I have a 2001 PT that seems to have an electrical issue. I had error codes previously that indicated a cam or crankshaft sensor problem. I had it replaced, but the cruiser still ran poorly. It would start up with out any problems, but until it was warmed up, it would miss and run rough. After it warmed up, it ran like a champ.

Recently I started having a different problem (but maybe related). It would stall out at random times (maybe 10 minutes after driving, maybe an hour). It will not start back up right away. After it sits for about 5 minutes, it starts up and runs fine. Most of the time it is ok, but it sometimes stalls out again. Rinse and repeat...

The check engine light usually does not come on when this happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 21 Jun 2010, 08:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT - Starts, runs, stalls...won't start

Did you replace the cam sensor or the crank sensor?Or Both? The crank sensor can be intermittently bad causing the same symptoms as a cam sensor.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 08:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have to go back and check....but I am almost certain that it was the camshaft sensor that was replaced. Could a bad wiring harness cause that to read faulty?
Old 21 Jun 2010, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles do you have on your PT, maybe your belt is stretched and giving you bad readings. PT's do not like aftermarket sensors!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Jun 2010, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When were wires and plugs last changed?
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Jun 2010, 08:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Was the sensor a aftermarket sensor? The PT likes OEM.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 22 Jun 2010, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sensor was OEM....not sure on the plugs and wires. Going to replace them just to rule that out.

I did notice when I was working on it last night that the engine compartment does get very hot, even though the temperature gauge sits around half way. I am not sure that the fan is actually turning. I am going to crawl underneath it and see tonight. The fuel line next to one of the radiator hoses gets really hot too. So I am wondering if vapor lock could be the problem?? Sounds kind of far fetched, but I am running out of ideas.

BTW....It's a Limited with 150k. Timing belt was checked and is ok. I bought it at 145k and it drove fine for the first 3k. I will say this though, my problems initially began shortly after having the oil changed. Coincidence? Maybe.

Last edited by silver7; 22 Jun 2010 at 03:14 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did you check the coil pack?
Old 22 Jun 2010, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After it stalled out yesterday, I checked for spark. It is orange....so it is getting spark, but not a bright white/blue color.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Fan is not turning at all. SO that could be part of the problem. I also fouund the pcv valve was cracked and broken. I replaced it....but the cruiser still runs the same.