Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ENGINE STALLING SOMETIMES HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2010, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ENGINE STALLING SOMETIMES HELP

Let me explain whats going on... about 6 months ago I parked my 2001 pt cruiser, and when I went to start it, it wouldn't start, it just turned, about 10 minutes later it started fine.... Nothing else happened for about 6 months... Now, I can drive short distances and nothing happens, but if I drive over 20 miles or so, the car will shut off when I stop, that is the important factor it doesn't shut off when moving, only when the car stops! Anyways I have done the little key thing, and no codes show up.... I have even taken the car to the Chrysler shop, and they found no codes..... The car also rides rough at high speeds, not terrible, but not like it rode last year..... I have replaced the spark plugs, did a software upgrade on the PCM, and reset the pinion factors..... Next on my list is the camshaft sensor, and then possibly the fuel pump

Any other suggestions? Is it possible the camshaft sensor could be bad without setting a code off? Could the problem descibed above be the camshaft sensor? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 22 Jun 2010, 12:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: ENGINE STALLING SOMETIMES HELP

It sounds more like a fuel pump issue to me. If it were a cam sensor, you'd most likely have trouble getting it started.

Also, cam sensors aren't selective about when they act up. A failing fuel pump is sensitive to heat, and will start to cut out on longer trips.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 01:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: ENGINE STALLING SOMETIMES HELP

See, that is exactly what I thought but the dealership said the exact same thing you are saying except for the fuel pump... they said the fuel pump doesn't care if your driving or slowing down.... they said the fuel pump is likely to cut off on longer trips, but it will cut off when it heats up regarding of speed...... you can drive 20 miles and it will shut off as you come to a stop for about 10 minutes. Or you can drive 50 miles and ot wont shut down until you stop.. it is like as long as you don't stop and keep going it wont stall out, and chrysler said that doesn't sound like a fuel pump..