Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dead PT Kinda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2010, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Dead PT Kinda

OK my wife has an 02" LE, I have spent several hours today reading posts on my specific problem, and have yet to find that any of the answers work. Sunday morning my wife was leaving and the PT would not Crank nor Turn over. I assumed she left the dome light or something on. I took her battery out and replaced it with the battery out of my 05' TE. The same thing no sounds except a click from a relay around the fuse box, and one click from somewhere on the left side of the engine compartment not from anywhere near the starter. I know it's a no no, but I arced the starter and the motor turned over fine. So I turned the key into the ON position and attempted it again. Just crank no start. While I took a break I left the battery cable off, when I came back 20 minutes later and reconnected it, it turned over 3 times sounded like it started the died and would not crank again. Every time I take the battery cable off for 15-30 minutes it will try and start once then never turn over again. Thank you guys for your input in advance. I have a third degree sunburn all over me from working on this all day. I have tested all the relays with a tester, they are all good. Checked grounds, wiring harnesses, and replaced the ignition switch. the connections on the power distribution unit seem fine.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I cannot get it to give me any Diagnostic codes, it doesn't even say done. Just gives the miles.

Last edited by thewashman; 21 Jun 2010 at 10:32 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 06:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Dead PT Kinda

Your doing the key dance to get the codes right? Sounds like you got a weird one hopefully one of our Chrysler motor heads will chime in.

How to retrieve fault codes.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 22 Jun 2010, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope my hunch is wrong, but engine computer may have died.
If you know how to get codes, and you're not getting "done".....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah the Key dance doesn't work. I am going to get an OBD reader today to sse if that will see anything. Another question. I have 05' TE is it possible to replace the 02 LE computer with mine if that is the cause.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Dead PT Kinda

Okay so here is what has happened the last day or so. I took the car to an auto electric guy to have him see if he could diagnose the issue. He had an ex Chrysler mechanic come over and hook a scanner to it, and said that there is a failure somewhere in the security relay system. I CAN get it to run now just by disconnecting the battery for a minute and then reconnecting it. After I kill the car it won't start again until I do it again. He said his Chrysler guy said was getting 2 "soft code errors" and would have to look at it at his shop to determine the problem. Anybody have any idea what this guy is saying? I cannot afford to be passed around from mechanic to mechanic. Paying each for a diagnostic, and a referral to someone else.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Okay so I have the correct fault code now. It's getting "Serial Link Internal Malfunction" which is the SKIM module not working correctly, any ideas on why it would flip out, or how to diagnose if it is the skim module itself. Any idea what the Dealer will want for new one? I know they charge $40 for the programming.

Thanks
Old 24 Jun 2010, 12:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

ECU???? From what little info I read on the skim error it's usually the ECU. I don't know anything about this place except they advertise with the forum.

ECU Car Repair - National Auto Electronic Solutions

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 24 Jun 2010, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the reason I think it's the SKIM and not the ECU is because we had tumbler issues a while back and had to bang the ignition a little to get the the tumblers to work. Considering that the SKIM module is literally wrapped around the ignition and mounted next to where we were banging it, I pray it's just the skim