Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Popping out of gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2010, 10:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Popping out of gear

My 02 manual 5-speed has started popping out of 5th gear while going down the freeway. It seems to happen only after traveling for 15-20 miles or so. Thoughts on what the problem might be?
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Popping out of gear

I just got on here checking to see if anyone else was having this problem. I have the same thing going on. I, too, have an '02 and while driving down the interstate last weekend, it started popping out of fifth gear. I took it into a local Chrysler dealer for a check-up and an estimate on repair costs and all I was told was that it was internal, they would have to take out the transmission and disassemble it(which they told me would take 6 hours alone in labor) and then figure out what the problem is. Basically, it cost me $50.00 for them to tell me they would have to tear the transmission apart to find the problem. That was my estimate. I am disabled and told them due to living on a disability income, I need to know what I am looking at for a possible repair bill so I can plan ahead to cover the cost. I couldn't even get a ballpark figure! I know this can't be something new they are dealing with. I know this isn't going to help you out any, I am just hoping someone may actually know what we are looking at here as far as the problem and possible cost to repair. Thanks
Old 25 Jun 2010, 08:04 am
Senior Cruiser

This might help it's a thread about booger bushings

2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 25 Jun 2010, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestion and link Dino. I'm going to look into replacing those bushings.

dmhaugland, a google search also found a couple of sites that suggested it might be cable-related - at this link, a guy who says he's a Chrysler tech mentions bushings and shifter cables. Good luck with yours. I'll let you know if replacing bushings helps.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I started the thread mentioned & that was the problem, I should have taken a picture of my bad bushing, the really bad one was the one you can see when you remove the air cleaner.

Take out the air cleaner & have someone move the shifter into different gears, mine was almost totally gone.

$22 & an hour of time fixed it for me.