PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2002 Dream Cruiser AC issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2010, 09:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2002 Dream Cruiser AC issues

My cruiser has been without AC for about 2 years now. Finally was able to start getting it fixed.

They replaced the evaporator and accumulator due to severe leaks in the evap. Worked perfectly for 2 days.

Now the compressor is seized up.

They are telling me the compressor, drier, and liquid line w/orifice tube all need to be replaced.

My knowledge of cars is VERY limited, but everything I've read leads me to believe that the accumulator IS the drier? So does this need to be replaced again?

I wanted to verify before spending another $700 on repairs.
Thanks!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 10:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Dream Cruiser AC issues

(Lengthy but important)
It's important to remember that one of the main functions of the accumulator or drier is to absorb moisture from the A/C system. Therefore they include a desiccant material. Desiccants are typically made from silica gel, and because of their affinity for water, they make great drying agents. Additionally, accumulators and driers have filter screens to trap any debris. After a compressor failure, these filter screens can easily get plugged with debris. KEEP IN MIND.. some of the components that flow refrigerant through the system work with openings of less than .050" (fifty thousandths of an inch). It takes LESS THAN 1/10 of A TEASPOON OF DEBRIS to plug these components and cause a failure.

Therefore drier/accumulator replacement is required.

Typically, the desiccants have been proven to become saturated after three to four years of service. Once saturated, they can no longer absorb moisture. Additionally, there is no way to check the filter screens for contamination. It is very common for the debris from the compressor failure to contaminate driers because the debris is carried throughout the system. Therefore, as a standard practice, accumulators or receiver driers should be replaced whenever you are replacing the A/C compressor. Consider that it's much the same as an oil filter on you engine. You change the oil; you change the oil filter. Like any filter, there is a 'fixed' capacity for how much debris and contamination any filter can hold. Additionally, if the accumulator or drier is not replaced, you are probably going to 'void' your compressor warranty.

Now since this happened within a couple of days of repair, I would ask if they could replace the drier for free under warranty, and they should have tested the compressor anyway. what have you got to lose?
Old 23 Jun 2010, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Dream Cruiser AC issues

Dreamweaver -

Thanks for the thorough reply. That helps a lot. I wasn't sure of the function on the accumulator/drier, but it makes sense now.

Also, thanks for mentioning about repair under warranty. I hadn't even considered that.

I think I was just overwhelmed by the thought of another $700, bringing the total to around $1,500.