Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to reprogram ECM with "security alert"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool How to reprogram ECM with "security alert"

so, the dealer is still telling me I can do nothing but buy a new ECM and instrument cluster because there was a SKIM attached that shouldn't have been. when I called a 3rd party supplier of engine control modules, (ECU at ECU Car Repair - National Auto Electronic Solutions) the technician said "you don't need a new ECU, you just have to have the dealer reset it"......but then the catch-22 came: he wouldn't tell me how to reset it (so I could tell the dealer) because I didn't have a pending order, and I had no pending order because he said I didn't need the ECU.....

Anyone have the directions on how to reset the ECU that has the security alert?

Thanks much, as usual!!!
Old 25 Jun 2010, 10:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: How to reprogram ECM with "security alert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbMc View Post
so, the dealer is still telling me I can do nothing but buy a new ECM and instrument cluster because there was a SKIM attached that shouldn't have been. when I called a 3rd party supplier of engine control modules, (ECU at ECU Car Repair - National Auto Electronic Solutions) the technician said "you don't need a new ECU, you just have to have the dealer reset it"......but then the catch-22 came: he wouldn't tell me how to reset it (so I could tell the dealer) because I didn't have a pending order, and I had no pending order because he said I didn't need the ECU.....

Anyone have the directions on how to reset the ECU that has the security alert?

Thanks much, as usual!!!
I'd get a second opinion on this. I can't get any info out of Chrysler's system because attaching a SKIM by mistake isn't something a lot of people do. If you tripped the security system and locked out the ignition (not having a coded key), the dealer may very well be correct. You cannot activate/deactivate the sentry systems in Chryslers, so if you messed with the system, there may not be a way to reset it.

An aftermarket supplier of ECUs doesn't outweigh a dealership that's trained specifically on these cars.

Go to your next nearest Chrysler dealer for a second opinion. There's no procedure to do this caliber of resetting the ECU yourself, without special equipment.

Tags
ecu reset skim