Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating and AC problems..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2010, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating and AC problems..

So I stumpled upon this forum last night, and have been doing some reading on all the tech posts. Yesterday my 2006 started overheating for the first tiem since I have had it. The AC has been acting up for a week. When I first noticed it overheating while ina parking lot, it was because of a large clousd of light smoke. Immeadately I shut if off and called my hubby. Ended up turning the heater on and it went back to normal (it was 112 degrees outside too!) and was able to get home with windows down of course! My poor 1 year old was so hot when we got home.

So after reading about all the advice on here, we are headed outside to check some of this out. I will let you all know what we find, or if I need some more advice, but everyone has been pretty clear on some things. My husband knows a good deal about cars, and thanks a ton to someone on here I now have amanual on my laptop! yay! I would prefer not to take it to a shop, but know that may be a possibility. *cross my fingers its not too pricey*

*edit* 2006 cruiser
2nd owner bought at 34,000 in march 2008
about to hit 70,000 probably this week if she runs..

Last edited by KrisBo; 26 Jun 2010 at 12:48 pm.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating and AC problems..

Oh, I did have one question though. I was talking to my aunt yesterday. She said in the past with older cars, my dad had told her to just take the Thermistat out, dont even bother putting a new one in. But like I said, OLDER model cars. I live in AZ and really I dont need it to help warm up my car. Is it a MUST in the cruiser, or would it work without it?
Old 26 Jun 2010, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey KrisBo , i dont usually reply to help topics but on this question I can assure you , It is not reccomended to remove the thermostat on the PT's 2.4 .

Not only does the thermostat help to bring the engine up to operating temperature , but it also serves to keep it from going beyond normal operating temperature .

In a cold climate , without your thermostat , you may not be able to reach a normal operating temperature , In a hot climate you will most likely overheat .

The thermostat allows your coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to cool down before being cycled back into the engine .

Not to mention the possible side effect to the cooling circuit (ECM /Relays /Fan , ect ... ) trying to compensate for an engine running above or below normal temperature conditions .

In my opinion , removing the thermostat is not an option .

Hope that help

Dave
2002 Limited 5 Speed

Last edited by DigitaL101; 14 Jul 2010 at 08:48 pm.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Dave for your imput. Like I said, I was just wondering about it. thats probably one of the thigns we will try replacing first since the fan will definately dip into the savings.

Another note: I just drove the car for an hour and a half, windows down, the AC turned off and did not overheat. (its around 105 degrees right now..) The guage stayed normal. If I turn the AC on, then it overheats.

Got the oil changed last week, told me I am ready for a transmission fluid flush, but I highly doubt that is why we are having problems.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 06:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sounds famaliar , Mine was overheating , I replaced the water pump , temp sensor , high and low speed relay , then learned my fan motors high speed side was not working , but the low speed side worked fine .

Drove fine for 30 , 40 mintues then overheated almost instantly

Not sure about turbo models , but non turbo models have a two speed fan .

You may see the fan working on its low speed circut and figure its fine .

Check to verify the fan works on the high speed side .

Turn the car on while its cold , so the low side does not initiate , then turn on the AC , if the fan starts running , your high speed side is working .

Turn the AC off , let the engine warm , the low speed side of the fan should kick in when the needle is right at the half way mark .

If the fan works during both test , your fan should be fine , unless there is an intermittent fan motor problem , wich i highly doubt . Usually when a fan motor go's , its gone .

If you do need a fan , remember , local parts dealers prices for these fan motors or fan assemblys can be way over priced . check out some online parts dealers like Rockauto or Summit , they have the best deals .

Hope that helps

Dave

2002 Limited 5 Speed
Old 27 Jun 2010, 03:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Dave, thanks so much, I will check that. Turns out we didnt have time to check out the car today, but tomorrow my father in law is going hang out with the hubby and check it out. I will tell them about this, or just check it myelf since sometimes men wont listen to women about cars. LOL
Luckily I have a a tiny old truck i can drive (87 toyota pickup, without ac too!) but if I need to get around while the cruiser is not in the best condition I can. Cross your fingers we get it workin tomorrow.. well I guess later today actually..
Old 27 Jun 2010, 03:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

So we just went outside to do the fan check. Yes at this hour of the night, its AZ and its the only time I figured the engine would be "cool"

The high speed of the fan works. But when I turned the AC off, the fan kep running on the slower speed. This was while we werent even past the first line on the H/C guage. So I turned the car off, then back on and the fan didnt go at all. Before it got to half way we shut it off cause my husband noticed my coolant was gone.

My seccond run today in the car was not as long. 15 minutes one way, ran fine. shouldve been 15 minutes home, but that didnt happen. I pulled over cause I saw smoke and the guage started moving again. Figured out that when my hubby checked the coolant he had not put the metal cap all the way on and it splashed out all over. Soooo, I went to Autozone slowly, pulling over a few times to cool down, so i could grab coolant and make it home.

He added some in, then we went to the movies (in the truck) to let the car just be for the night. Came home, checked this post, sowe went to check the fan and then noticed that the cooant was empty again. well, wth? So we just added more coolant and will let it sit overnight. My in laws will be here so he can help burp it, and make sure there is enough in there. There is not a drop of coolant under the car. We also checked the oil. Its clean, no sign of milk..

At this point I am hoping that my stop and go overheating was just due to being empty on coolant cause of that lid mistake. In the long run though even with adding that, there is still something wrong. After they do whatever to the coolant and where it goes tomorrow, I will suggest the fan again. And because of how the line took the coolant, my husband believes the thermistat is working..

I have a feeling this is gonna be expensive and suck massively. oy.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When you added coolant, I hope they put HOAT coolant and not just some coolant. Anything other than HOAT will over time clog the passages in your engine and the radiator.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK! So now we are starting to get somewhere. As my hubby and Fatherin law run to the store again.

We have burped the coolant. We have replaced the air filter. checked and replaced all spark plugs, which badly needed it. while checking the spark plugs they realized that the PCV or PVC valve was broken and the hose to it needed replaced. So that is what they have gone to get now. So I guess that beign broken was making the right hand side of the engien take in air, which was overheating it most likely, which also showed on the spark plugs as that one was in the most need of replacement.

After it is all done, I will take it out for a drive and see if we have fixed the problem. I took a picture of the broken pieces but I do not know how to add it in the reply.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So we did all that and it is still overheating with the AC on. So I just ordered the fan assembly (OEM), hopefully it will ship quickly. Got it for $93 including the shipping from:
https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...ml?3593=135714
Called my local Chrystler dealership and for the part alone they are charging $429, a non OEM from Autozone is $185.

On the plus side, we didnt spend that much fixing those other things on the car. About $50, and it all needed to be done. Also included with that was a new coolant cap. The seal was worn and apparently it was also the wrong size reccomended for my car.