Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
flushing brake fluid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2010, 11:29 am
Young Cruiser

Default flushing brake fluid

i have to flush the brake fluid in the foreseen future and was wandering if there is a special specs for the brake fluid ?! or should i just get it from nearest auto part store ?!
thanks

* dealer recommended flushing it !
Old 28 Jun 2010, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: flushing brake fluid

It's a dealer money maker along with flushing the power steering fluid but after saying that, they should be flushed somewhere about 100K. Doing it at 50K or even 30K when the dealer suggests is way to soon.

Yes, there is recommended brake and power steering fluid type and I believe it's the same as the tranny fluid, ATF+4 but I may be wrong about that so check with the dealer to see what he recommends.

The job itself is usually a 2 man job unless you have the kit that lets one person do it and if you've never done it before I suggest you let a shop do it for you. You don't want to play around with your brakes.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

The brake fluid is DOT 3, same as at any auto parts store, NOT ATF+4
Old 28 Jun 2010, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for confirming that. Can you confirm that the power steering fluid IS ATF+4 ??
Old 28 Jun 2010, 06:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

The power steering fluid is ATF+4
Old 28 Jun 2010, 09:11 pm
Young Cruiser

thanks CREWZIIN AND AZPhotog for your help .
yes i've done a brake job long time ago on a different car and will update my info using the web, youtube has more than couple of posts showing how it is done too.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 09:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin, 100k miles is way to long to go on the original brake fluid!

Brake fluid must be flushed at least every 2 years! Brake fluid get contanimated over time and absorbes moisture (the resevior is not 100% moisture free). When this happens, it loses it's hydraulic ability.

2 years/24k miles is the most you should EVER go without flushing your brake fluid!

Power steering fluid will also not last 100k miles. This should be flushed whenever it gets dark. If it's black or dark brown, it's time to flush.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 01:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

An easy way to change your fluids is to buy a turkey baster to remove the old fluids and add new. Suck out the reservoirs and replace with clean fluid and then drive for a week or so and then repeat as necessary. Eventually the old fluids will be replaced. Just be sure to use separate basters for the different fluids or clean the baster very well between uses. This method may not be 100% efficient but it works well enough and will save you a lot of time and money vs letting a shop or dealer do it for you. I've been using this method for close to 40 years on my vehicles and have never had a brake, clutch, or power steering failure due to contaminated fluids.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Crewzin, 100k miles is way to long to go on the original brake fluid!

Brake fluid must be flushed at least every 2 years! Brake fluid get contanimated over time and absorbes moisture (the resevior is not 100% moisture free). When this happens, it loses it's hydraulic ability.

2 years/24k miles is the most you should EVER go without flushing your brake fluid!

Power steering fluid will also not last 100k miles. This should be flushed whenever it gets dark. If it's black or dark brown, it's time to flush.

You know on the older cars no body changed brake fluid or PS fluid and im sure some will say yes they did but I really have a hard time believing that
it is a pain to flush out the brake system and no matter how much you flush it it is still gonna be contaminated and then you have to bleed all the cylinders at the wheels what a pain you may as well just go ahead and replace the entire brake system be a lot easier
I to have worked in a shop and that service while offered was never done---but i guess in today's world where when your wife goes go to have your tires rotated the guy shows you a plate with your fluids on it and what they should look like and says man the4se need changed you need it right now and hey it is only $149.99 I guess some people say OH my go please
change them

I cant see it but maybe im just to old heck i still remember the old Paper filter inserts you used for a oil filter
Old 12 Nov 2010, 06:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wait a minute! How does one suck out the brake fluid from the lines connecting to the slave cylinders--using a turkey baster? That fluid does not recirculate--thus the need for a proper bleeding sequence to get rid of the old fluid from these distant tributaries.

It's a messy job that takes two people and hard to recycle the old fluid.

Just take it to Big O, or some other tire place, and have them do it--properly and safely. They will also check your brakes for free when they do this job.

You might use a turkey baster to get the fluid out of the brake resevoir, however--but certainly not the lines!

Tim