Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
the dreaded new fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default the dreaded new fan

The short version is the fan is not working so it needs to be replaced. I can get a Chrysler replacement fan installed (parts and labor) for $504.00 Fair deal or not?
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: the dreaded new fan

Fair deal? Only if you can't do it yourself and don't mind paying dealer prices for parts and labor.

Can you turn a wrench, have the tools and any kind of experience in doing mechanical labor? If so, you can pick up a fan cheaper (about $100) on ebay and it takes about 2 - 2/12 hours of your own labor following the instructions on the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 01:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I am not mechanically inclned and have a few rich mechanics to testify to that! I have heard of several people paying over $600 so I thought it was a fair price.

I could turn a 2 1/2 hour job into a 2 year job and it would still require someone else to finish it and charge me even more!
Old 28 Jun 2010, 02:12 pm
Young Cruiser

i dont think it's that complicated to take you 2 years to do ! and 500$ is way too much
why dont you take it to a trusted local shop and see what happens ?!
the fan only costs 69.97$ at rockauto.com
let's say mopar parts oem is 125$ so they're charging you 325$ labor plus tax ! are you sure you wanna do that?!
Old 28 Jun 2010, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just 5 minutes ago ordered a new fan assembly (OEM) for my my 2006. Although my husband is going to install it.

Ordered it here:
https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...ml?3593=135714

After shipping it was $93ish, I also called chrystler before I did, they are charging 429 for the fan with NO installation. Maybe you can order one if you have a friend, uncle, brother who can install it. even giving them a few buck for it will stil be WAY cheaper then going to the dealership.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 05:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

New fan is in - car stays below 1/2 way mark on temp. A/C works better than it did before - very cold! It has been a week and everything appears to be fine.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad it's working for you. So what was the bottom line? Did you let the dealer sell you the fan and have them install it?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 05:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes I did. I am not mechanically minded, I work too many hours and I bought the car to have a fun drive in the summer on rare days off. It works, I am happy and that is all that matters!
Old 05 Jul 2010, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't get mad. I was only curious. Its the bottom line that works and your happy so that's all that matters.

We try and help owners with problems and at the end try and help with parts and labor by sharing what we have seen done or have done it ourselves.

You started off with asking if the price quoted was a fair deal. That leaves me and others in the belief that you were looking for that "best deal", not that if there's other "higher" deals, then yours is a "fair" deal".

Again, if your happy, that's what matters.

Happy cruzin and hope it stays that way.

Old 05 Jul 2010, 06:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I wasn't mad and really don't get how you come up with that?

I was just asking if it was a fair price - not the best price. I know being able to price shop and do it yourself will always be cheaper.

Thanks for your thoughts.