Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Converting to Cruise Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2010, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Converting to Cruise Control

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser and was wondering how hard it would be to convert it to cruise control? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ethan
Old 01 Jul 2010, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Converting to Cruise Control

We (wife and I) had it put into a Suzuki we bought a few years ago. I was about $350 back them. The only problem is that it doesn't have the "extras" that you get with a factory set up like a little light on the dash telling you when it's "ON".

You can probably have it installed by the dealer and the computer will be flashed to work like an original cruise control but it will be more expensive. Other then that, if your really handy with electrics, you might be able to install it yourself with dealer parts kit and just have the dealer flash the computer.
Old 01 Jul 2010, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
We (wife and I) had it put into a Suzuki we bought a few years ago. I was about $350 back them. The only problem is that it doesn't have the "extras" that you get with a factory set up like a little light on the dash telling you when it's "ON".

You can probably have it installed by the dealer and the computer will be flashed to work like an original cruise control but it will be more expensive. Other then that, if your really handy with electrics, you might be able to install it yourself with dealer parts kit and just have the dealer flash the computer.
Do you have any instructions on how to install the steering column?

Thanks,
Ethan
Old 02 Jul 2010, 04:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a few "How to's" in the top of this Tech and Performance section that should be able to help you.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 03:39 pm
Young Cruiser

new here (today) just picked up a low milage PT yesterday.. and wow, didnt know they came without CC anymore. I have looked at about 20 and every one had it.. So silly me, the one I like (50,000 miles and cheap) i never even noticed it didnt have CC. was a 250 drive home, and sad as it sounds, my leg got very tired, CC has spoiled me. I see the kits on EBAY for an OK price and Chryslerparts direct has it cheap enough too. Im very comfortble working on engines, and taking stuff apart, but electronics is my weak spot. Far as I can tell its "mostly" plug and play, some disassembly and bolt it toghter again.

Several threads here on doing it, but I'm really wondering how hard it is, how long it took, where the tough spots are. AIRBAGS scare me a bit, but assuming i can disable those with battery and the instructions should tell how to do it.

OH and the tech section, which thread would pertain to this? I'm not spotting it.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It was an old thread that pertained to buying a CC for PT's. The only install with procedures has to do with Dodge SRT's.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 04:30 pm
Young Cruiser

been reading all the threads i can find here. Several people get stumped at some Wires (and unforntaly the threads just sorta end there, no solutions). As I mentione that is my weak spot so am concerned. Most the kits i see (chrysler parts it appears) make no mention of instructions, but most here who have tried do mention them, but I'm not willing to go on assumption.

$200 kit so going to assume if the local dealer does it (2 hours I hear) its going to be a $4-500 bill... Really would like ot hear from anybody who did it to weigh if I do it myslef or not. My ggreat deal may not end up that way if it takes $500 more hehe
Old 11 Sep 2010, 08:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
been reading all the threads i can find here. Several people get stumped at some Wires (and unforntaly the threads just sorta end there, no solutions). As I mentione that is my weak spot so am concerned. Most the kits i see (chrysler parts it appears) make no mention of instructions, but most here who have tried do mention them, but I'm not willing to go on assumption.

$200 kit so going to assume if the local dealer does it (2 hours I hear) its going to be a $4-500 bill... Really would like ot hear from anybody who did it to weigh if I do it myslef or not. My ggreat deal may not end up that way if it takes $500 more hehe
You could install a Rostra electronic cruse control, it's made for cars and trucks but I was able to install it on my motorcycle.
For the 08 PT you would need Rostra 250-1223 Kit, 250-4369 VSS signal adapter and a control such as the 250-3592 or 250-3032. If you have a manual trans, you also need the 250-4206 clutch disengagement switch. I ended up using push button switches from radio shack on my motorcycle instead of using the Rostra controls.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 11:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Well I really would prefer the Chrysler kit, $200 is pretty ok price wise, I'm just wondering how the people who have done it found the install. If the instructions are good I'm sure i can do it.. if they are not.. well that is the question.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:26 am
Young Cruiser

i dont know what year you drive but i found this pdf for instructions online

it is for 03 base model, not sure if it's of any difference from the other models !!

this is the website, couldnt upload to the forum as pdf exceeds 19.5 kb !! it is only 21kb and wouldnt let me upload, how stupid !!

Chrysler EASy – Accessories - 82208198