Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP! Weird electrical glitches then wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2010, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question HELP! Weird electrical glitches then wont start

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and yesterday the airbag light was turning on and off randomly,trunk open indicator light was on (the trunk was closed securely), The interior lights were lit on and would not turn off & the power door locks were randomly unlocking and locking back all this was while driving normally. Then when the car got home it got turned off and tempted to restart it and all it did was click like the starter engaging to the fly wheel but would not turn over the engine. Today I thought I would try to Jump start the car but still nothing happened. The same clicking of the starter but not turning over the engine. I tried to check codes by turning the key 3 times and waiting for a code to show up but all it said was "done".
It was driven in the rain yesterday but was not ran through any heavy standing water.

Any Ideas as to what this is? Maybe Electronic Ignition Box? Starter?
Please Any suggestions would help allot.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! Weird electrical glitches then wont start

Welcome to the forum.
My suggestion, your battery is probably your culprit. Strange things have been happening to other owners when the battery starts to get low. Of course you know when all it does it click it means the charge in the battery is just low enough to power things but not enough to turn over the engine, that's the first sign. If you can, take the battery out ,underneath the air filter, and take it to one of the better auto shops that will off-line test it for free. They can tell you if you have a dead cell or weather it will hold a charge.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.
My suggestion, your battery is probably your culprit. Strange things have been happening to other owners when the battery starts to get low. Of course you know when all it does it click it means the charge in the battery is just low enough to power things but not enough to turn over the engine, that's the first sign. If you can, take the battery out ,underneath the air filter, and take it to one of the better auto shops that will off-line test it for free. They can tell you if you have a dead cell or weather it will hold a charge.
Thanks. I'll pull the battery out and run it up to an autoparts place and have them check the battery. I did try to jump start the car but still the same click so I hope you are right and its not an Alternator. Since this is my sons car he's on a super tight budget and has little to no money. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.
Old 03 Jul 2010, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK just got the battery back from being charged and tested over night and the car still wont turn over just the click from starter engaging the fly wheel. it gave me a code now of P1684 which I looked up and just states that the battery lost power within the last 50 starts ( considering the battery was pulled I take it this to be normal) I guess I am going to have to have it towed to the shop and have it looked at. Shame I couldent troubleshoot this but i dont have the time to put into it considering this is my sons car. I guess he will have to pay for this one haha. Thanks for the help though. At least I learned something from this. This forum is very informative! Keep up the great work.

After I get a diagnosis from the shop I'll keep you posted as to what the problem was.
Old 03 Jul 2010, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. With most things it's something we've seen or heard of before but there's always that few things (wire/sensor/connection) that's almost impossible to diagnose over the internet.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jul 2010, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the verdict is in........ The battery was about half dead and was charged over night and tested ok this morning. The starting problem turned out to be the Starter needed replaced.

Just wanted to let you know. Thanks again for your help
Old 03 Jul 2010, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. We knew about weird electrical problems with a low battery but I thought the clicking was always the same culprit, which it still is but now we can add a bad starter. Glad your son will be back on the road, cruisin!