PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil pressure light problem - just replaced cam sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2010, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Oil pressure light problem - just replaced cam sensor

Hey Guys,

my girlfriend has a 04 Cruiser and the check engine light came on for P0340 - cam sensor, so i replaced that today and now the oil pressure light comes on when the idle drops below 1,500. i checked all the connectors and everything seems intact. anyone have any advice or have had this problem?

thanks

Car has 81k.

Last edited by jeremyrocksursox; 02 Jul 2010 at 02:14 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil pressure light problem - just replaced cam sensor

Jeremy welcome to the Forum. Hopefully you use OEM & not aftermarket. Our PT's do NOT like aftermarket. That may be your problem.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Jul 2010, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lots of problems with the oil pressure sensor from owners. Hopefully just a coincidence that the light came right after the Cam Sensor. If it was an earlier model I might suggest that the wiring from the Cam Sensor might have something to do with the oil pressure sensor (above the oil filter) since they both run around the back of the engine but I'm pretty sure they moved the oil pressure sensor to the other side of the engine (around the starter) in 04.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Jeremy welcome to the Forum. Hopefully you use OEM & not aftermarket. Our PT's do NOT like aftermarket. That may be your problem.
nopeee, i went to Advance auto parts and used BWD one. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Lots of problems with the oil pressure sensor from owners. Hopefully just a coincidence that the light came right after the Cam Sensor. If it was an earlier model I might suggest that the wiring from the Cam Sensor might have something to do with the oil pressure sensor (above the oil filter) since they both run around the back of the engine but I'm pretty sure they moved the oil pressure sensor to the other side of the engine (around the starter) in 04.
well i had replaced the oil pressure sensor about a month back because the teflon and worn off and was leaking. and have not any any problems with that light until now. but the oil pressure sensor is above the tranny, not sure if thats near the starter or not.

but the light did not come on until i replaced the part
Old 02 Jul 2010, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

More pieces to the puzzle. You've already replaced the oil sensor before. Quite possibly it's a bad aftermarket part (as Hooligan noted) or it was overtightened when put on.

Should be just a coincidence that it came on the same time you replaced the Cam Sensor.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
More pieces to the puzzle. You've already replaced the oil sensor before. Quite possibly it's a bad aftermarket part (as Hooligan noted) or it was overtightened when put on.

Should be just a coincidence that it came on the same time you replaced the Cam Sensor.
yeah, i thought i overtightened it so i took it off and put it back on but the problem was still there. So i let it cool for awhile and just took it out now and hasent come back on since. Kinda fixed itself i guess, but ill keep a close eye on it over the next few days