Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Went to stop and engine raced..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2010, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Went to stop and engine raced..

Hi- I'm new to the forum and I don't know if this has been discussed. I have a 2002 PT Cruiser, 95,000 miles. Yesterday, I pulled into a parking space, one foot on the brake, and my engine started to race. I had to use 2 feet on the brake to stop the car and panicked and threw the car into park (which was probably the wrong thing to do). Now I know how the Toyota owners felt. Has anyone had this problem? What can I do about it? Now I'm frightened to drive and always have the other foot ready to slam on the brake. Thanks for you help!
Old 03 Jul 2010, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Went to stop and engine raced..

Welcome to the forum.

A couple owners have reported problems with the cruise control that wouldn't turn off. Were you using that right before you pulled in?

Are you sure part of your foot wasn't on the accelerator as you pushed on the brake pedal? That's happened a lot, more than you know, even did it once myself. It just has to be the tip of a shoe on the gas pedal to make it want to rush forward and accelerate.

No one has reported unattended acceleration problems like on the Toyota's.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 07:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, Thanks for your reply, but I don't have cruise control. And, my foot was definitely on the brake because I had to put my left foot on the brake to help stop the car, thinking that I needed to get my right foot on the gas to hit it to stop the car from racing-because it was stuck or something. Any other ideas?
Old 04 Jul 2010, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, then you better have someone take a look at the throttle linkage cable running across the top of the engine. It might be off track, frayed, loose, whatever. Make sure your floor mats are away from the gas pedal also. That seemed to be some of the problems Toyota was having. The floor mat was slipping up underneath the gas pedal and getting caught on the accelerator pedal.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks so much! I'm calling my mechanic tomorrow.