Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT Cruiser<~~~DRAMA QUEEN!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2010, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy My PT Cruiser<~~~DRAMA QUEEN!

I'm a Newbie and have zero knowledge about the mechanical mysteries of cars. It's like Algebra-I just don't get "it".

I bought an 08 PT Cruiser in September of 08 from a dealership and have been sailing along just fine until the Spring of this year.

I was in the emissions line to have my car go through the process for the tag renewal requirement.

Sat in line in idle for about 15 minutes and as soon as I was about to drive into the hub of the emissions testing facility, my car made a loud *pop* sound, spit fluid all over the ground, and a white smoke diligently shot its way out of the engine hoods seams.

The emissions testing staff didn't want anything to do with my car at that point and suggested that I might have a "cracked radiator"...which made me almost throw up just a little bit in my mouth.

A very nice local mechanic approached me and advised that I drive the car over to the shaded area of the parking lot and let the car cool down.

Since that time I have been told that the cars 4th cylinder has 70lbs of compression. I have also been told that there may be a cracked head, a head gasket issue, a bent valve, or a warped head. Also I've been told that the top half of the engine would have to be removed in order to properly diagnose the issue.

At 56,400 miles, is this normal for an issue of this magnitude?

It was suggested to me to take the car to DC Service Center and request Goodwill Assistance for the repair considering the low mileage. However, when I spoke to DC Customer Service, I was informed that Case Management has a criteria by which they determine to assist a customer and the Rep was unable to identify what the criteria was...i.e. "Mystery Criteria".

I could (without a loaner) leave my car at the DC Service Center and completely chance this "Goodwill Assistance" idea only to get stuck with a bill that I'd have to "secure a choice corner" (irritated form of sarcasm intened) in order to come up with the few grand that DC would require to release my car to me along with informing me that my situation was inelidgible for Goodwill Assistance or I could take it to that nice local mechanic (who provides a loaner) and see what it would cost for the repairs.

I seriously considered a trade in this morning but there is not enough value in the car up against the pay off amount for it to be of any value to me.

So, I'm bumping around in the dark on this one and really need some quality advice from a knowledgable person who loves their PT Cruiser as much as I love mine...even if she is a complete and total DRAMA QUEEN from time to time.

Thanks,

Dorie Williams
Murfreesboro, TN
Old 03 Jul 2010, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My PT Cruiser<~~~DRAMA QUEEN!

Dorie,

Welcome to the forum.

I take it you have no warranty left on the PT? If so, some repairs cold be covered.

A couple questions. Even with the popping sound and white smoke, was the car overheating? To me, it sounds like the compressor for your A/C overheated and opened the valve that let your "freon" (R134a) come shooting out. This has nothing to do with a cracked head, warped valves or anything else that nice friendly guy tried to tell you about.

It sounds like you might either need a new fan, thermostat, radiator unblocked, radiator cap or a couple other small items (small hole in hose, etc?)

Since your not the mechanic yourself, you want to try and find someone that is trust worthy to diagnose the real problem.
Old 03 Jul 2010, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: My PT Cruiser<~~~DRAMA QUEEN!

I made the mistake of not purchasing a warranty at purchase time...a lesson hard learned when purchasing a pre-owned vehicle, I'm afraid. I was told that both fans were operating aokay. I also had a recent incident where I was helping charge a battery of another vehicle and my air was blowing in...but it was hot air. Bout 7 minutes into it my Temp gage hit that "turn off your engine three fourths quarter mark". I complied and drive the car as little as possible right now till I determine the next best step. Thanks for the kind welcome and for your kind reply. : )
Old 03 Jul 2010, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My PT Cruiser<~~~DRAMA QUEEN!

It still sounds like low or the high side of the fan is burned out.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar