Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
STRANGE OVERHEATING PROBLEM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2010, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy STRANGE OVERHEATING PROBLEM

I recently acquired a non running pt which ended up being a pin that connects the camshaft to the cam sprocket! So, the car runs great at idle, but at speed it overheats to the point where the gauge goes all the way into the red, and will only drop in temp after I turn the heater on! The car has a new timing belt, water pump, radiator cap, and thermastat, I also flushed the engine and radiator twice. Bled the system twice also! Checked the fan, and it works fine. I have heard of it possibly being a head gasket, no coolant in the oil, no smoke out the tailpipe, no bubbles in the coolant Still overheats unless i run the heater! Anyone out there that can help, i really would appretiate it, thanks, and a happy 4th to all...
Old 04 Jul 2010, 07:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: STRANGE OVERHEATING PROBLEM

depending on the age of your PT, it could simply be an old worn out radiator. Radiators have 'fins' in between each row of tubes. These fins wear and get loose as the radiator gets old. The loose fins at the corners is one way to tell a bad radiator.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The engine produces more heat when running than at idle, therefore needs lots of fluid running around to keep it cool. If you've eliminated the head gasket, like cjb15 said, it could be that the radiator is partial clogged not letting the full flow of coolant to run around. Turning the heater on lets the coolant flow through the HVAC system under the dash giving it more space and disapating some of the heat. You might want to do a compression check just to be sure of the head and gasket.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Don't know if this might be a possibility, but if I was one tooth off on the timing could that cause an overheating problem, basically maybe it's out of time???
Old 04 Jul 2010, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Of all the owners that came back to us after having the timing belt done wrong, non have said the engine was overheating. They say it's a little hard to start and won't idle worth a darn.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 08:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

So, in your opinion I should not rip half the car apart to recheck the timing? Anyone out there have a plugged of radiator? I checked the fins, and they are all intact. Wondering if possibly the radiator is clogged? It did have the green coolant in there which I guess is a NO, NO..?
Old 07 Jul 2010, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you want to check the timing just find tdc with #1 plug out and take off the top timing belt cover. Your marks should be really close to being in line across the cams. if one is way off, bingo.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 07 Jul 2010, 08:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmr View Post
So, in your opinion I should not rip half the car apart to recheck the timing? Anyone out there have a plugged of radiator? I checked the fins, and they are all intact. Wondering if possibly the radiator is clogged? It did have the green coolant in there which I guess is a NO, NO..?

It sounds like the coolant isn't circulating, it does sound like a radiator or air in the system. If you pull the cap off before it's hot can you see the fluid flowing or does it start boiling out?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08 Jul 2010, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Try a radiator flush followed by proper bleeding - can't hurt and probably needed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jul 2010, 07:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ozmr, who put in the thermostat? Did they stick it in upside down? Did they use an OEM one for your model? You turned on the bleed bolt after filling the radiator until it had no more bubbles? You used a 50/50 solution of coolant and distilled water? Right?

Well, if it isn't a thermostat improperly installed, or one that is simply not opening to allow the coolant to run into your radiator, maybe there is something to Chrysler's reason for using the HOAT coolant. I don't know why their radiator would be any different than any other make's, but they seem to insist on using their brand of coolant. Perhaps using the other stuff actually does clog the cooling chanels in the radiator.

Let us know what you find out.

Tim