Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2010, 07:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch Problems

I have a 2007 pt non turbo it shifts fine when cold but as soon as it gets hot it wont go into gear very hard to shift and at stop lights when clutch is pushed in it wants to pull car but all this only when car is hot( been running for a while)Any one have any ideas about this also it seems that I can not find a clutch for this car at auto parts stores
Old 06 Jul 2010, 03:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch Problems

I'd be optimistic and suspect the clutch cylinders (master and slave).
In fact I'd be really optimistic and see if you just may be low on brake fluid. It feeds the clutch hydraulics.
There is a bleed procedure that you could try if you can find it in a service manual.
Good luck.
Old 06 Jul 2010, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to L0WL1FE

Mine was doing the same thing..

Turned out to be a bad "THROW OUT BEARING"

never would of thought.. but it fixed it. couple hundred later
Old 19 Jul 2010, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mikedes, was your problem also a bad throw-out bearing? My daughter has an '06 with real low miles and has experienced the same problem for the past year plus. After replacing both the slave and master cylinders and experiencing no change, we added some spacers between the slave cylinder and the mounting surfaces (effectively adding more throw to the slave cylinder). It has helped, but still is an issue in hot weather or after long drives. If the throw-out bearing solves the problem, I'm all over that!
Old 19 Oct 2010, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2007 PT Touring that is doing the exact same thing. It started around 22000 miles and I definetely do not drive my car hard enough to wear out at clutch in that time period. I was wondering if you had a chance to change out the throwout bearing and if that actually fixed the problem? Thanks,

Not that I don't beleive you L0WL1FE, but two confirmations are always better than one.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Chris,

I've not yet changed the TO bearing. My daughter is at school in CA with the car, and I'm in MN. As the problem rears it's head mostly during HOT weather, I've decided not to do anything this winter. If you have any success in solving the problem, I'd sure appreciate an email. You can reach me at ec454ss at comcast dot net. If your problem is ongoing, you can improve the drive-ability by adding some washers between the slave cylinder and the flange on which it mounts. I've added several washers to each mounting bolt totaling about 1/4" of thickness (and swapped out the bolts for longer ones to maintain good thread engagement). This will provides a bit more throw from the slave cylinder rod. We've had the spacers in place for over a year with no other adverse effects. I'd sure like to get to the root cause...
Old 19 Oct 2010, 04:49 pm
Banned

One more thing you could try is adjusting the clutch pedal. If you can screw your head around under the dash, you'll find that the clutch pedal rod is adjustable by simply loosening the bolt that is midway out on the clutch rod. Loosen the bolt just enough to allow you to pull the clutch pedal up to the end of the rods adjustment slot. Then tighten the rod bolt back down and you're done. If you are already at the end of the adjustment slot this obviously won't help, but that is very seldom the case. There is usually at least a little adjustment.

Jerry
Old 20 May 2011, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to give an update on my problem. A little history on my was that after driving the car for a while it became very difficult to shift into gear. Usually it started when it got over 85 degrees outside or when the AC was on. It started when my car reached about 35000 miles, so I knew a total clutch replacement was not needed.

I'm pleased to announce that after replacing the throwout bearing ($56 from dealership) and shifter bushings ($15, ordered booger bushings online), a few hundred in labor from a local shop, the problem is solved! This is apparently a very common problem with Manual Transmission PT Cruisers, Dodge Neons, and Jeeps (given they are basically the same parts). I hope this helps anyone out there who might experience the same problems. It will definitely save you at least $500 to $1000, depending on if you get run through by a dealership doing the work. Thanks to all the help from other posts!
Old 23 Jun 2011, 01:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Seems being a recurrent problem on PT manual transmissions.

I have currently the same issue and it repeats when every summer is coming, the first gear is tough to pass but works like a charm in winter.

I just got it checked by dealer and got a $1350 request to get it fixed.
No insurance or warranty cover this and guess what... The PT is not even 30,000 miles and 4 years old!

Would not be a way to get Chrysler to fix their bad engineering?

My previous car was a Beetle VW convertible 1978 I never changed the clutch and drove it so far 80000 miles without problem.

I find hard to believe they would not do an effort to fix this and get better impression from their customers than just a $1300 fix to go with.

I am not ready to buy Chrysler again in my life neither push anyone to get one.

Old 08 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I posted on other thread on this forum about my PTC 2007.
Hopefully that will help other in the same situation.