Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ding!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2010, 07:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Ding!

Here's a good one, folks: my wife just came home from work and told me that every time she started the PT today (it's a 2003 non-turbo Limited Edition) that she heard a single "ding", then all the start-up warning symbols on the instrument cluster went out--except one. The "Airbag" symbol stayed on a few seconds longer than usual.

So I got in the care, started her up, and sure enough I was serenaded with a single "ding", and the Airbag symbol stayed on a few seconds--then went out.

Anyone else had this happen?

Tim
Old 14 Jul 2010, 01:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Ding!

Hm? I just asked a Cruiser mechanic and he said the Airbag light symbol will soon stay on all the time. He also said that I needed an airbag clock spring. I looked it up in my Hayne's Manual, and it seems the steering wheel has to be removed to replace the air bag clock spring. Anyone done this before? I don't want to get "bagged" by the airbag, that's for sure.

Tim
Old 14 Jul 2010, 01:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

On the contrary, the airbag wont go off at all with a bad clockspring.

Did the mechanic diagnose it with equipment, or is he just guessing? While the clockspring is a very common cause of an airbag light, it's not the only one. Have it diagnosed before looking at any replacement parts.

By the way, it's fairly easy to remove the steering wheel. You'll just need a puller, probably.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 02:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Heifetz, as it turns out the car wouldn't turn over this morning. I jump started it and it started without the airbag symbol comiing on. The three-year-old Mopar battery appears to have one cell low on water. I'm taking it back for a new battery (it still has some pro-rated value). I'm hoping that the non-start event (bad battery) and the airbag "ding" and airbag symbol lighting up are related. WE'll see.

Thanks for the other advice concerning the airbag components and further testing.

bBy the way, the online PT Cruiser mechanic that said my airbag clock spring was probably at fault, also said that my battery was shot.

Tim
Old 14 Jul 2010, 06:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, I put in a new Mopar battery (I only used Mopar because I had some pro-rated time on the three-year-old Mopar that I just removed).

The motor started up right away and the "ding" noise and the airbag symbol staying on a bit longer than usual, completely disappeared.

So if you experience a single "ding" noise at startup and you're not showing a low-gas symbol or have a door-open signal, ect., it might be prudent to check out your battery--even if your lights work. I had one bad cell in the old battery, but that was all it took to make the warning system give false warnings, apparently.

tim
Old 02 Sep 2013, 02:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm having the exact same symptoms as I first stated in this three--three years ago.

The "fix" was simply replacing my three-year-old Mopar battery with another Mopar battery (it was still on warranty at the time).

I looked at the date of my fix--and it has been almost exactly three years.

Hm?

I'm going to check the battery again.

Tim
Old 02 Sep 2013, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
I'm having the exact same symptoms as I first stated in this three--three years ago.

The "fix" was simply replacing my three-year-old Mopar battery with another Mopar battery (it was still on warranty at the time).

I looked at the date of my fix--and it has been almost exactly three years.

Hm?

I'm going to check the battery again.

Tim
Check that the ground points are clean behind the air box as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Sep 2013, 03:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

I will, thank you.

I checked the battery, and just like three years ago, one cell was showing "fair". The other five were in the good zone.

The + post has a tiny amount of corrosion, so I'll clean it. But I have a feeling that the issue was as it was before: the Mopar battery is only good for three years.

I also got the P0325 code (like before)--"Knock Sensor too little or too much voltage".

If I don't find a ground issue, I'm just going to do what I did before and get a new battery. The symptoms are exactly the same.

Thanks again,

Tim
Old 02 Sep 2013, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
I will, thank you.

I checked the battery, and just like three years ago, one cell was showing "fair". The other five were in the good zone.

The + post has a tiny amount of corrosion, so I'll clean it. But I have a feeling that the issue was as it was before: the Mopar battery is only good for three years.

I also got the P0325 code (like before)--"Knock Sensor too little or too much voltage".

If I don't find a ground issue, I'm just going to do what I did before and get a new battery. The symptoms are exactly the same.

Thanks again,

Tim
Yep, sounds like it. Buy you a good battery. Anything will out last 3 years.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Sep 2013, 08:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Auto Zone sold me one for a hundred an core charge. I cleaned the clamps up spotlessly and put the new battery in with its thermal jacket.

Lets see if this happenes again in three years.

I've been working on a 1974 Super Beetle since October--lots to do there, but it's coming along.

Surprisingly, until today, I haven't had a thing go wrong with my PT.

Yahoo!

Tim

BTW, the "ding" and airbag issue ended with the new battery.