Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant hose, overheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2010, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant hose, overheat

Help! I'm trying to get husband's car (02 Cruiser) in good shape before he comes back from deployment...neglected it bad over the last 6 months...replaced the battery, of course had to take apart the air filter assembly, got directions online and it wasn't that hard...previously had jumped it, let it run a while, but wouldn't hold a charge. So now we have a new battery.

However, just now I was letting it idle a bit to keep it alive, and vacuuming it out, and heard a loud noise over the vacuum cleaner, turns out coolant was chugging out onto the ground, the engine was overheating and freaking out, bells were dinging...scary!! I turned it off in a hurry. Fluid continued to chug loudly out of the engine. I got a flashlight after a bit and looked around, the hose on the right side of the coolant reservoir (closest to driver side, and incidentally the air filter assembly) was just hanging there, and it looks like all the coolant flowed out of that. Must've got jogged loose of whatever it connects to when I changed the battery. But I can't tell where it hooks up again! And can't find any diagram or anything online to tell me either! I think if I found out, hooked it back up, refilled the coolant, I'd be safe (hopefully!) to run the car again, hoping bigtime that I didn't damage anything with the overheating, though I got it turned off pretty quick. No smoke, and when I shut it off and opened the hood, it wasn't intensely hot in there...please advise! I have 2 weeks to get his baby back in action!!
Old 14 Jul 2010, 05:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant hose, overheat

Make sure you use HOAT coolant, if you use 50/50 HOAT you do not have to dilute it. DO NOT use the kind that say it is compatible with Chrysler.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Tags
coolant, hose, overheating