Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rain Water in heater blower motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2010, 08:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rain Water in heater blower motor

Hi my wife has a 2001 2l PT Cruiser RHD with A\C (rarely used as we live in Scotland) and when it rains water leaks from the heater blower under the glovebox I've checked the vent that goes straight up to under the windscreen and it seems ok. I removed the motor (half full of water) and when my wife was driving water came out the hole for the blower motor when the car was lower on the passenger side it seemed to be coming from centre of the car inside the heater ducting. I removed the trim from under the windscreen and it all appears clear the only thing I can think of is the water is getting in where the heater adjusts the temperature mixing cold air with the hot air from the heater matrix. Can somenone tell me where the cold air enters the car for this or any ideas of the cause of this would be greatly appreciated. I all ready had to replace the heater motor after all the snow in the winter and don't want to need to replace another one.

Thanks.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rain Water in heater blower motor

Remove the plastic cover by the widscreen wipers - on the left side (facing the car) you'll see a rectangular plastic screen against the firewall - that's where the air enters.
The screws holding the cover on are plastic - you may have to pull up while turning to remove them, or grasp the plastic retainers for the screws with pliers.
Are you certain it is not a coolant leak? No smell of antifreeze?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jul 2010, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've checked this cover and it is ok seems dry inside definitely not coolant my coolant level is ok and its only when it rains. The flap under this cover is operated by the circulation control knob where does the temperature control take place??
Old 16 Jul 2010, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am not really clear, but it sounds as if the air box drain may be plugged. If you have access to a air compressor, you may want to blow some air down the drain to remove the "plugged" debris. IF there is one is should be at the lowest point of the box. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Jul 2010, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for being dumb but whats the air box drain is this the air con drain pipe ive seen on other posts under the car??

Cheers for the quick replies & help.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf497 View Post
Sorry for being dumb but whats the air box drain is this the air con drain pipe ive seen on other posts under the car??

Cheers for the quick replies & help.
No they are different, at least on the 2.4L here in the states.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Jul 2010, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok where is the air box drain ??

Cheers.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 07:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I found a drain pipe coming out from the bottom of the heater box I think this is where the heater matrix is (next to the blower motor) the pipe goes out into the engine compartment. The drain pipe was pushed between a couple of pipes and the body. I released the pipe and gave it a squeeze and a load of water came out so hopefully thats it. I've told my wife to keep an eye on it.

Cheers for all the help.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Mark, I had no idea where it would be located, but it sounds as if you found it. Congratulations to you.

Old 17 Jul 2010, 12:51 pm
Banned

Sorry for coming in late on this but just to keep our info straight for future referance, There is only one drain on the PT's hvac system. It serves both the a/c and the heater. They both are contained in one large hvac assembly box that is attached to the firewall in the dash in the drivers compartment.The rubber drain hose empties down the engine side of the firewall. It can clog with the same type of "mung" that builds up in your a/c in your home. It is easily removed and flushed or simply squeezeing the drain hose from the firewall out (like emptying a salsa packet at Taco Bell). If it was me, I would remove it to clean it because I could then look into the evap floor and see if there was any mung there that I needed to pull out with a coathanger (very carefully!!). Actually, I would have parked on an incline before I started this process and if there was mung on the floor I would flush it out with water out of a turkey baster instead of using the coathanger. The incline would make the mung run right out on the ground.

You can picture the relationship of the hvac components if you raise the hood and look at the upper left part of the firewall. If you had x-ray vision and could see through the firewall and starting at the hood hinge you would first see the blower motor, then the a/c evaporator, then the drain and finally the heater core.

Jerry