Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Check Engine light flashing, PT stalling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check Engine light flashing, PT stalling

Hi all,

Hate for this to be my first post, as I've been searching and lurking for a week or so now but...

I have a 2005 PT Convertible, turbo, (95,000 miles) and recently, I've had a problem...when sitting in traffic, the car has shut off completely, with no warning, and twice now, when sitting still, my check engine light has started flashing. As soon as I start to accelerate though, it stops.

It's shut off completely on me twice now, and once it almost shut off but then kicked back on. The check engine light has come on flashing twice now, but as I said, both times went off when I began to drive. The car has NOT shut off while the check engine light has flashed.

The car seems to drive fine. This only happens when I'm stopped. The check engine light came on once while I was sitting in traffic (car in drive, foot on the brake) and this last time, I had left my car in Park with the engine on while I popped out to check my mail, got back in and the light was flashing...put it in drive and drove into the driveway and it stopped.

I tried to check for codes by turning the key forward 3 times. The check engine light and oil light both stay on after the third time, and the center says 'done'. I had the oil changed about 10 days ago and checked and the levels are fine.

Any ideas? I'm a little freaked out...
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check Engine light flashing, PT stalling

Welcome to the forum. First of all, you should never drive the car with the engine light flashing. It's a warning that something is bad enough to severely hurt your engine.

Second, the codes always come up if you do it the right way...

How to retrieve fault codes.

Your at the point now (almost 100,000 miles) where comprehensive maintenance should be performed on your engine. Hopefully you've been keeping up with regular maintenance including a transmission flush.

My advice; get it to a competent, trusted mechanic to diagnose your problem(s) and get back on the road.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the welcome! Both times the check engine light started flashing, I had intended on driving only far enough to get out of traffic...but both times as soon as I started moving, it went off.

I followed the directions for getting the codes off the dash implicitly and all it said was 'done' so I'm guessing since I at least got that message that I did something right.

I'll be completely upfront...I have no mechanical knowledge AT ALL, but I'm pretty good at following written directions. I was actually able to diagnose and fix a problem with my power windows myself a while back thanks to the suggestions of the good people on this forum.

Just looking for any input or suggestions for this problem. Last August my turbo blew out and I had to have it replaced which was pretty costly...approximately 1500 miles AFTER my warranty ran out. I'm pretty strapped for cash and I don't really have the means to go to a mechanic unless I absolutely have to, so anything I can try on my own or at least get pointed in the right direction will help.

Oh and to answer your question...I don't believe I've had a transmission flush done b/c it was never suggested to me. On my last oil change, I was advised that the break fluid was dirty, and they asked if I would like it changed, so I had that done.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, well, if the cars shutting down on you and the code reads done (your did it right), the only thing that will dig deeper is a scanner to find out what's wrong. The scanner will look a lot deeper into the engine management system to find out why it's cutting out. Unfortunately there's no way to do that without paying someone with a scanner. If yo have any car clubs around your area and yo know where they meet, you might go and ask if anyone has a scanner that reads Chrysler codes. You need a DRB III / OBD 2 / DRB 2 scanner I've seen them referred as any of those.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Would that be the same type of thing they use at Autozone? When I was having a problem with my power windows I stopped there and they gave me a computer to plug in that spit out some codes for me to take to my mechanic (none of which were for my window, but it did help them find a hose that had come loose when they fixed my turbo). If so, I'll swing by there on my way home tomorrow.

Also I'd like to add...you guys are all great here! All the posts I've searched have been extremely helpful, and everyone is so nice...I'm always afraid I'll be treated like an idiot when I ask questions about car problems because I'm so mechanically disinclined.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Na, most of like to help out the "mechanically challenged" owners as long as they come off as really liking the PT Cruiser and wanting to get back on the road after running into problems.

The ones that come along and cursing Chrysler for ever making anything with 4 wheels and vowing never to own one again, I usually stay away from and let someone else try and help.

As far as the scanner from AutoZone. I'm not sure what they use but it won't hurt to stop by to see what, if anything, their scanner says about your PT.