Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Code P300 and P302 engine light on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2010, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Code P300 and P302 engine light on

Wuz up everybody,

Well, I've had my engine light on everysince July4th. It went off for about a week or so and came back on today. I went out to SummitRacing and bought MSD 8.5mm plug wires and Champion 7570 spark plugs. I gapped them at .040
The codes are saying multiple misfires and #2 cylinder misfire. What do I do next? A friend of mine told me its my #2 injector? Can anyone help me out on this one?

Thanks y'all
Old 20 Jul 2010, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Code P300 and P302 engine light on

Welcome to the forum.

Why did your friend say it's the injector? It could be but just wondering how he came by that conclusion. You could have a small crack or leak around the number two cylinder which would cause a vacuum leak. That would give you the same code.

A vacuum leak you can find yourself by spraying WD40 around the intake. The bad injector would have to be diagnosed using a scanner.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 20 Jul 2010, 08:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nationwide auto care also said it was a bad injector, but I was skeptical and wanted a second opinion because I had no engine light on before they did a tune-up on the car. I only have 41K on it. I took the plugs out they installed and the # 2 plug (i believe?) was very black and dirty. The others looked decent compared to that one. I know its not the plugs or wires now. I'm trying to do a process of elimination.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nationwide auto care also said it was a bad injector, but I was skeptical and wanted a second opinion because I had no engine light on before they did a tune-up on the car. I only have 41K on it. I took the plugs out they installed and the # 2 plug (i believe?) was very black and dirty. The others looked decent compared to that one. I know its not the plugs or wires now. I'm trying to do a process of elimination.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

can't hurt to throw a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in the tank.

Did you try the WD-40 along intake manifold seams as Crewzin suggested? If that smooted out idle, then you have a bad intake gasket.

Double-check that ignition wires are fully seated at both coil & plug end - I found them hard to get fully on...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles