Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New User --Needs Help, PT won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2010, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New User --Needs Help, PT won't start

First, I have to say this is a great forum and thanks to all of you that helps out people like me.
My story: My son said that he started our 2004 non-turbo cruiser and was backing up when it died and would not start. I arrived and tried to jump it with no luck. It was towed to the house and I have spent all day working on it. To be specific, when you turn the key it does not turn over or try to crank, the lights and radio works. I checked the 30amp, the starter relay, the battery (I replaced it with a battery I new was good), I wiggled the shifter, I put it in nuetral and tried to start it, I cleaned the dirty terminal wires and terminals with no luck.

I take the starter off and take it to two different parts houses and have it tested and they both stated it was good.
I then am told to put a test light in the little wire that goes to the starter and have someone turn the key to the start position, which I did & by my test light (which works) it did not light up and appears that this test failed. So if this is an indication of something wrong, where do I go from here? What are other items I should check? I was told about maybe looking for an inline fuze, which I cannot seem to find & then I remember reading something (which I cannot find again) something about a pin being broken on the ignition? Any ideals, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 21 Jul 2010, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New User --Needs Help, PT won't start

Welcome to the forums.
My hunch is your ignition switch went.
You aren't getting 12 to starter.
Does your PT have a tilt steering wheel? Some have found that titling can pinch the wires...or loosen a connector...
Try giggling/pushing in on igniition switch.
Take off the plastic surround on the steering coulmn (2 phillps screws from the bottom) and look at the wires coming off the ignition switch...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Jul 2010, 08:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Took the steering coulmn off and I checked the wires going to the ignitions switch and there were non that were bent, they were plugged in and I tried, both, wiggling these wires and also moving the sterring coulmn up and down while trying to start the car - but nothing. A couple of more questions:
Is there some kind of safety switch that could have been activated?
Is the ignition something that I can pull out and switch or am I getting way above my head?

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 21 Jul 2010, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check all fuses? There's and Ignition off-draw fuse that I'm not sure would cause your problem....
IOD Problems??
Old 22 Jul 2010, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

my 2004 non turbo pt is doing the same thing urs is doing it all happend 2 days ago i have about 96k miles on it i ever used a screw driver to cross the starter to see if it would crank it did crank but it was weak sounding don't know what els to do
Old 22 Jul 2010, 01:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The IOD fuse has nothing to do with this problem.

When you turn the ignition past accessory to "run", do you get all your dash warning lights and the blower fan and everything? If so, your ignition switch is not the problem either. If you don't, and you only get your accessorie (radio, windows, etc.) your ignition switch may be faulty.