PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine overheating + P0551 = belt issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2010, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine overheating + P0551 = belt issue?

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and would like to start by thanking you for any help that can be offered.

Last year I bought a used 2001 PT (no turbo) with 100,000 miles. Earlier this summer it started to overheat while driving around town. My first guess was the thermostat, so I replaced that. No improvement. After finding this forum and seeing several posts about bad radiator fans, I pulled this and found that the low speed didn't work. I have since replaced this and had a few weeks without overheating.

Yesterday the check engine light came on while driving home from the hardware store. Tonight I took the PT to my local AutoZone and had them pull the OBD error code. P0551 = power steering pressure sensor.

On the way home from AutoZone the engine started to overheat. I got home (after turning off the A/C and blasting the heater) and let it cool down and have since verified that the fan is working (while idling) and the coolant level is fine. This may be unrelated, but I have notice over the past week that the A/C blows warm while idling (cold while moving 10 mph or faster).

This got me to thinking about engine belts. Is it possible that there is a loose / slipping belt that spins the water pump and A/C compressor? From what I have been able to find online it looks like these are separate belts.

Most of the posts about P0551 suggest it is a bad sensor (which sounds like an easy fix). Any thoughts on the overheating problem? Any reason why these problems would be related? I am at a bit of a loss where to go next with the cooling system. I just spent $600 on exhaust and suspension repairs, so I'd like to avoid another trip to the mechanic.

Thanks,

Tags
2001, fan, overheating, p0551