Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT starting issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2010, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT starting issues

I know there's a ton of posts on this issue and I'm hoping to get fresh input and insight from you guys.

I've owned the car for about 3+ years, zero starting issues. This past Sat, I pulled the radiator and replaced the electric fan. Closed everything up and started it just fine. Turned it off, cleaned up a bit under the hood, then went to start it again and NOTHING. Lights work, radio works, remote works, etc. I turned it off then on again and it started fine. My wife drove it around all day yesterday until last night when again, nothing when the key is turned on. I tried in neutral, park, back and forth, because it acts like what happens when you try to start it in gear, a safety feature that locks out the starting circuit. Anyway, nothing happened and I still can't get it started.

Something interesting that I notice last night in fiddling around with it is that when the key is turned "on", not to 'start', the back up light comes on and stays on until you put it in 'drive'. It comes on in Park, Reverse, and neutral. Secondly, the left brake light does not come on. Very odd.

Anyway, I'm hoping for help. I've printed out the codes and how to get them so I'll check that tonight.

Thanks, guys!
Old 21 Jul 2010, 08:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT starting issues

Maybe there's a problem with the neutral safety switch/reverse switch. It sounds like it thinks the car is in reverse when it's not, meaning you wouldn't be able to start the engine.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone know of a site where I can get the directions and pictures for replacing the neutral safety switch on this 2006 PT Cruiser?
Old 23 Jul 2010, 06:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I just looked up this information for you and you're not going to like it.

The neutral safety switch is also known as the transmission range sensor, and is located on the top of the valve body inside the transmission. The only way to replace the switch is by removing the valve body, which is not a simple or inexpensive procedure.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 01:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I'm learning! I went into Chrysler this AM and they have the part, $46, not too bad. They call it a PRNDL. They gave me the diagram of the valve body etc and it didn't look too hard. The problem is, I don't know what to expect when I pull off the cover. It looks like everything just comes out.

I also checked with a transmission place and they'll do the whole job for $300, including the part.

I'm going to get a bit more input before I start the job.

What a stupid place to put such an important part!!

Thanks!

Oh, by the way, do you know anywhere on the internet where I can download to disassembly/assembly instructions for this job?
Old 25 Jul 2010, 10:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

For 300, I'd let the pros do it. Here are the instructions from Chrysler. Sorry, no pics. For some reason this site automatically gets rid of the pics.

REMOVAL

The valve body assembly must be removed to gain access to and replace the transmission range sensor.

1. Disconnect the battery cables.
2. Remove air cleaner assembly (1).

3. Remove the battery hold down clamp and remove the battery (1).

4. Remove the battery tray (1).

5. Disconnect gearshift cable (1)from manual valve lever(2).
6. Remove manual valve lever.
7. Disconnect transmission range sensor connector.
8. Hoist vehicle.

9. Remove transmission oil pan bolts (1).

10. Remove transmission oil pan (1).

11. Remove transmission oil filter (1).

12. Remove the valve body-to-transaxle case bolts (1).

13. Remove park rod rollers (1) from guide bracket (2)and remove valve body from transaxle.

14. NOTE: To ease removal of the valve body (1), turn the manual valve lever fully clockwise to low or first gear. CAUTION: The valve body manual shaft pilot may distort and bind the manual valve if the valve body is mishandled or dropped.

15. Remove manual shaft seal (2).

16. Remove TRS retaining screw (3).

17. Slide Transmission Range Sensor (1) up the manual shaft and remove.