Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Hitch Carrier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2010, 08:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear Hitch Carrier

This is my 2nd post, but my first question.

Background: Bought a 2002 Limited Edition For the wife about 6 months ago. It is our first PT. We, of course, fell in love with it immediately.

Specs: Auto, Brown/Gold color, Leather, Heated Seats, Mirrors, moon-roof, roof rack, 16 inch wheels with the chrome rims. The Timing Belt *and 100k service* were just performed a few months prior to purchase. The Transmission was just rebuilt professionally 2 months prior. I still have a warranty left on it. I paid $3700 for the Cruiser, not bad I think. This forum I have learned the 2002 was one of the best trouble free years to have.

Mods: I've added Trailer wiring, a Hidden Hitch, New Stereo (with DVD screen) and a 300 watt amp with a 12 inch sub in the back (in a truck box, saves space)

Question: I have read here extensively about towing capacities and weight. The consensus is about 100 lbs of tongue weight and about 1000 lbs towing. This is without a car full of fat people of course

I Tow my boat all the time with it and have no issues. It is pretty light and the PT launches it and pulls it out of the lake with ease. I get a lot of stares both because the boat is an antique (1954 Feather craft) and because the PT looks so small at a Ramp full of trucks.

We are getting ready to go on a trip to MN. I started thinking about storage space and came up with an Idea. I have a rear Hitch Rack that goes in a 2 inch reciever. I went to Walmart and bought the smaller hitch peice, and slagged (welded) it into the rack. Now I can install the Hitch rack on the cruiser.

So the question is, if the rack weighs about 40 lbs. That leaves with me with roughly 60 lbs of gear I can load. But since I have read posts saying the Hidden Hitch can handle 200 lbs (not verified factually, but posts here have said so) do you think I can get away with 40 lbs of rack weight and 100lbs of gear. For a total of around or just under 150 lbs?

I mostly am going to put large bulky stuff back there like the luggage.

I asked my son to take a photo of the rack installed, but he took the photos too close. so I will post another one later

I upgraded the Rear shocks to Heavier Duty KYB shocks earlier.

thoughts?

dave
Old 23 Jul 2010, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Hitch Carrier

I'd be worried about handling - there's a leverage effect with weight hanging off the back. Picture it as if you'd be driving with your wife standing on the rear bumper....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jul 2010, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

I Put 2 80 lb bags of concrete on the back and drove around

Handles the same, came back and put it back in the shop and looked it over and everything looks fine.

So I answered my own question. With the 40 lb rack and 160 lbs of weight on it she handled like a dream. So I guess the Hidden Hitch can Handle the weight.

I plan on putting less weight than the concrete on it for the trip so all will be fine, and we just increased the carrying capacity of the cruiser and will still have plenty of room inside the cab.

So if anyone else is looking to add a rear hitch carrier I say go for it.

Dave
Old 03 Oct 2011, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredright View Post
This is my 2nd post, but my first question.

Background: Bought a 2002 Limited Edition For the wife about 6 months ago. It is our first PT. We, of course, fell in love with it immediately.

Specs: Auto, Brown/Gold color, Leather, Heated Seats, Mirrors, moon-roof, roof rack, 16 inch wheels with the chrome rims. The Timing Belt *and 100k service* were just performed a few months prior to purchase. The Transmission was just rebuilt professionally 2 months prior. I still have a warranty left on it. I paid $3700 for the Cruiser, not bad I think. This forum I have learned the 2002 was one of the best trouble free years to have.

Mods: I've added Trailer wiring, a Hidden Hitch, New Stereo (with DVD screen) and a 300 watt amp with a 12 inch sub in the back (in a truck box, saves space)

Question: I have read here extensively about towing capacities and weight. The consensus is about 100 lbs of tongue weight and about 1000 lbs towing. This is without a car full of fat people of course

I Tow my boat all the time with it and have no issues. It is pretty light and the PT launches it and pulls it out of the lake with ease. I get a lot of stares both because the boat is an antique (1954 Feather craft) and because the PT looks so small at a Ramp full of trucks.

We are getting ready to go on a trip to MN. I started thinking about storage space and came up with an Idea. I have a rear Hitch Rack that goes in a 2 inch reciever. I went to Walmart and bought the smaller hitch peice, and slagged (welded) it into the rack. Now I can install the Hitch rack on the cruiser.

So the question is, if the rack weighs about 40 lbs. That leaves with me with roughly 60 lbs of gear I can load. But since I have read posts saying the Hidden Hitch can handle 200 lbs (not verified factually, but posts here have said so) do you think I can get away with 40 lbs of rack weight and 100lbs of gear. For a total of around or just under 150 lbs?

I mostly am going to put large bulky stuff back there like the luggage.

I asked my son to take a photo of the rack installed, but he took the photos too close. so I will post another one later

I upgraded the Rear shocks to Heavier Duty KYB shocks earlier.

thoughts?

dave
Apologize for the disturbance but guess the towing capacity depends on your car. upgrading the rear shocks would be great idea but would be better if you have replace the engine itself to a powerful one.
Old 03 Oct 2011, 09:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Same ratings on the turbos i believe, so dont think its a power rating problem. The biggest issues is swaying because of the short wheel base, longer braking distances and the hitch is bolted to a unibody rather than a frame.

Lastly chrysler is CYA so they rate it lower than it may actually hold safely.