PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03pt gt 63k miles plugs? wires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2010, 08:39 am
Young Cruiser

Default 03pt gt 63k miles plugs? wires?

So for plugs I originally bought the Champion #7570 double platinum blah blah
after reading the sticky i am going to return them and buy the ngk #4306 RockAuto Parts Catalog rockauto has them for 2.16 a piece
--Anyhow, I got several viewpoints from the sticky as to the correct gap on the plugs once installed.. The ones I bought from auto parts store are pre-gapped and supposively to specs at .05 but sticky in some places says .038 and others .032 and others .04 so not sure where to go with that?
--Wires recommended? new ignition system recommended?
Thanks guys.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03pt gt 63k miles plugs? wires?

DEFINITELY get wires. Stock ones are terrible. Any good name brand or Chrysler's "hi-po" ones are better.
I have seen a lot of posts on gap, too. I have concluded 0.050 is too large, per Tech bulletin from Chrysler that said to go to 0.040, and I read a lot of turbo gearheads that went as low as 0.028!
Gap will widen over time - I set mine at 0.038 as a sort of compromise (and Crane wires, which you can't get any longer) and my PT hasn't missed a beat in thousands of miles.
Coppers are fine, I got irridiums only because they are supposed to last longer (and have done well). I read that the problem with platinums in a turbo is that the heat causes the platinum bonding to "un-bond" - not the platinum itself....
My experience - your mileage may vary.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jul 2010, 09:04 am
Young Cruiser

Give me your recommended plug/wire combo...
brand etc, so I can order online..
My 03gt is getting 15mpg and most is hwy/interstate driving to class and back so i need to do something...unacceptable
Car is completely stock
Old 23 Jul 2010, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmilbut View Post
Give me your recommended plug/wire combo...
brand etc, so I can order online..
My 03gt is getting 15mpg and most is hwy/interstate driving to class and back so i need to do something...unacceptable
Car is completely stock
Stock Champions are fine and wires from RaceAndStreet (Mopar performance) are good.
for mileage - tire pressure - air filter - and throw in some Lucas injector cleaner.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 11:14 am
Young Cruiser

I got 35mpg this past weekend on my trip to daytona and back including driving around the city and beach for the 3 days we were there... I hope to keep this avg. I'm not sure If I want to change the plugs and wires now though. We will see how it is at the next fillup. But man oh man.. 35mpg is getting up there into the hybrid criteria. My pt is surely loving the mobil1 or maybe it just likes the beach too
Old 27 Jul 2010, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Matt, Matthew, matthewmilbut,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you have a little miscalculation in your mileage figures. If you really did get 35mpg, Chrysler would be in touch with you about buying back your car. The oil companies would probably steal your car. They would both tear your engine down into little tiny bits. Chrysler because they would want to find out how you got that kind of mileage. The oil companies because they wouldn't want anyone else to find out how you did it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bet your next tank is awful mileage. Why? Becuase you didn't get 35 MPG, the pump shut off early - you can't base mileage on fill-ups, you have to calculate mileage over several thousand miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2010, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good going Matt, why don't you use Fuelly.com and track it that way. No one will be able to question your figures.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Jul 2010, 01:48 pm
Young Cruiser

when the car misfires on one of the plugs, is that would be recorded in system and the key dance would show it up ?! i have a rattle in the engine for some reason

i have mopar stock wires and plugs in there So should i change it ?! it was just replaced 3k ago

last thing Matt, no way you got this mpg !! you cant calculate mpg through one fillup !! and you have to pay attention wheather you are filling over or not as you can almost put an extra gallon after the pump has stopped automatically !!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:04 pm
Young Cruiser

i just signed up now how do you add it to your bar down there.. i still have past two receipts with mileage written on them
I will sell if price is right
P.S. I hope you are all wrong as I am a starving student... and working at a church does not pay much lol but yes i know i have to figure it out over more than one fillup...was just excited to see it that high.. I take miles driven and divide by gallons pumped and get my mpg so i'm not sure about the whole overpump thing how that works..

Last edited by matthewmilbut; 27 Jul 2010 at 02:09 pm.