PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to: Open the Hood When the Cable Breaks

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry How to: Open the Hood When the Cable Breaks

If this is posted somewhere else, I apologize for the new thread. I can't seem to find a discussion on it.

As I was getting ready to run to the store last night my battery was dead. (Someone left the lights on.) I went to pop the hood and the interior latch just came right up without the "pop".

I noticed a cable dangling in front of the radiator and it seems as though it is the hood cable since it moves the interior latch. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do now. Any suggestions as to how I can release the hood through the grill? (2001 Model if that makes any difference)

Your help is always appreciated!!!

-Tracy

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Jul 2010 at 06:55 am.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hood Latch Cable Disconnected - Can't Pop Hood

Tracy,

Never heard of anyone on this forum having the cable break. Happens all the time on my Corvette forum and a lot of us made emergency pulls to open the hood if it does break.

I went out to the garage and took a close look at mine from through the grill and then I opened the hood and looked down at the latch. It looks like it's completely covered from the front which is where you'd have to get into to unlock the first latch. Sorry to say, I have no idea how your going to open it.

Maybe someone on this forum will have an idea for you. Other than that, looks like a trip to the dealer becuase I'm sure they have seen this before. With any luck, maybe they'll tell you how to do it without having to pay the hourly rate.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Jul 2010 at 12:19 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. I guess it's a trip to the hardware store for a huge tarp since my sunroof and all my windows are open. In TN ya never know when a quick rain shower will pop up and I'd hate to have a flooded car. If I figure something out (although doubtful) I'll post the solution.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Let us know what the dealer does to fix it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Jul 2010, 02:19 pm
Banned

I've been trying for an hour or so to tell you how to open the hood, but my posts don't take. Maybe to long I'm breaking it up into a couple posts to try again.

Jerry
Old 25 Jul 2010, 02:22 pm
Banned

Yes, go to the hardware store, but not to get a tarp. If you don't already have one, pick up a small bladed, flat tipped, long thin screwdriver. Wrap the screw driver blade in masking or other type of tape. Do not tape the tip.

on to next post.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 02:28 pm
Banned

Take a flashlight and look at the bottom edge of the hood where you think the latch mechanism. Carefully insert the screw driver (it will be touching the bottom of the hood, hence the tape) just a couple inches to the right of center at a horizontal angle til it touches the latching mechanism.

Back in a minute.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 02:35 pm
Banned

In other words, you're going to be trying to enter the latch just like the cable did, from right to left. after contacting the latch and finding the cavity that accesses the latch jaw, push the handle of the screwdriver towards the passenger side headlight. If you had the screwdriver in the correct position, you will feel the latch release. Keep in mind you are simply trying to duplicate the pulling motion of the cable, from passenger side to drivers side.

The first two pics below show the position of the screwdriver when the hood is in the latched position and the second two pics show the screwdriver when the hood is in the unlatched position.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 03 Feb 2014 at 07:04 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 03:08 pm
Banned

It froze up again!!! You're doing that by pushing with the tip of the screwdriverfrom left to right (handle right to left) instead of pulling as the cable did. If you had the srewdriver in the correct spot the hood will pop open.

next

Last edited by wwpptc; 03 Feb 2014 at 07:04 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 03:11 pm
Banned

It may take a couple tries to find the correct spot. It worked the first try for me. If it doesn't work for you then unfortunantly it's time for the tarp.

next