Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xwing777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2010, 02:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default performance motor and tramision mounts and "torque struts"

Alrighty now.
I'm curious what options are out there that deal with performance oriented motor mounts and transmission mounts.

I know for a fact that the "motor mounts" on the passenger side of my engine that connect both at the top and bottom of the engine are worn/shot/busted/cracked (choose your favorite descriping word) appear to really be called torque struts.
Of course if I go to kragen/oreilys and ask for motor mounts they say I only have two and give pictures of these.
also reading a few threads in here (20 or so) these mounts fail quite often and oem style are junk.

I have also heard that the srt-4 "Torque struts" fit and are made of firmer stuff.
http://www.torquesolution.com/category_s/1113.htm
these seem to be an interesting performance choice as well...a tad expensive.
they also have an tranmission mount for the srt-4 but they don't mention it fits the pt cruiser.
I've heard people talk about inserts and already filled mounts but have yet to see any links to those kinds of mounts.
anyone want to help out there?
Some people have talked about getting like window sealer/filler and filling in the stock mounts.
I have also heard people say the vibration increases using these kinds of mounts and several people find it unbearable in the automatic pt's.

some people talk about a procedure you should perform when you install these 2 mounts...anyone have a link or know how you perform this procedure and why it is important?

anyways I'd like to get more info on the other mounts for the motor and tranny as well.
how many are there and where are they located?
anyone know of performance versions of these mounts?
links?
will the srt-4 versions fit here as well?

questions?
comments?
concerns?
issues?
that I might not have covered

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 29 Jul 2010, 02:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: performance motor and tramision mounts and "torque struts"

ohh I almost forget.
www.energysuspension.com

has alot of bushings for the pt cruiser the srt-4 and the neon.
under the neon and srt-4 it does mention tranny mounts and engine mounts I don't think it makes mention of torque struts.
anyone have any other info in relation to these types of mount and possible adaptation or fitment to the pt?
I have not called or e-mailed any of these manufactures yet so I was just wondering anyone here had personal experience of personal knowledge of these things.

thanks for your time in reading and thanks in advance for any help you give to further successful progress of this thread.

Old 29 Jul 2010, 09:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Trans mount wont work but the struts/mounts will fit a pt. If your auto i would use inserts such as shown here: http://www.modernperformance.com/eng...4_340_344.html

Thats what i run on mine. It does viberate the car somewhat but not bad. If you go with the solid mounts (also shown on that page) and run AC at same time, then your wipers will bounce on the window.

I have fairly sticky tires and i get no wheel hope when spinning them by using just the inserts.

If your wanting to fill your factory mounts, go to home depot or the like and get 80 durometer urethane from an industrail tool supply house. I can't remember the company most use, but they have a huge catalog most business have and stores all over the place. This method would be close to using inserts.

You can pick up the mounts and inserts cheaply on srtforums if you have an account there.
fatherbeak likes this.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 01:51 am
Regular Cruiser

those are some very interesting ideas well to look at and now understand teh insert idea much better.

I did notice they also had some inserts for tranny mounts....the year neons they said it would fit match up with the year neons that inserts on teh pt cruisser fits as well....worth a shot or just a completely different tranny?