Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02PT: Blue wire in front wheel wells?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2010, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02PT: Blue wire in front wheel wells?

So a bit ago my CEL came on and it's giving me P0551: Power Steering Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. I tried clearing it and it comes back within a day or two. I have tried low speed turns and the engine doesn't sputter at all and I haven't had any issues with the power steering/fluid, so I wasn't sure what it was. Since I don't drive it often, I left it go, but now it's about time for an inspection.

When I was changing the oil last week, I noticed a blue wire in the front wheel well that was sheared off. The exact same issue behind the other wheel. I have a repair manual, but can't figure out where it's supposed to connect to or what it's for. Could it be a sensor for when the wheel is fully turned that's causing the CEL? It just looks like it's grounded back to the frame, though, so I'm at a loss.

Here's 1 photo... still trying to upload 2 more: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=797ff5104c

Thanks for any input or thoughts!

Last edited by 02PurplePT; 29 Jul 2010 at 06:58 pm.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02PT: Blue wire in front wheel wells?

Ground wire!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Jul 2010, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes it's a ground wire and an important ground wire. Forget where I've read about it but it actually helps with static electricity and keep the wheel bearings from wearing out prematurely. That does sound far fetched, I know, but if I can find the writeup about it I'll post it.

Here's couple ansers to the same question.
-------------------------------------------
I have a 2001 LE PT with 60k miles. While under the PT performing maintenance I noticed a blue wire hanging down on each side behind the rotors. The wire had a tag on it with the number 04794264ad61789. My local DC dealer parts department said it's a strut bracket ground wire. How critical is this part? Is this something I can repair myself or do I need professional help? Thanks in advance for your help. - Joe, from Pennsylvania.

The ground wire is important. It should never break off on it's own. Something wrong must have happened, or a tech got lazy.

---------------------------------------------

Why are the struts on my PT Cruiser grounded electrically?
It does not have ABS, and there are no other wires leading to the wheel or strut...

It keeps the struts at the same potential as the rest of the car. In other words, it limits static buildup. Any time you have a body that generates friction, there is always an electric potential.
CTech is close with his answer explaining the galvanic effect where dissimilar metals will act like a dipole. Generally, static charges are greater where there is lower relative humidity in the air. Since the manufacturer doesn't know where the cars wind up going, they install the strap on every car built.

-------------------------------------------

...AND HERE'S THE ONE I WAS LOOKING FOR ....

Make sure that your front strut ground straps are intact as these commonly rot off and can cause repeat failures. The factory was seeing some early bearing failures even though the lube in the bearing was still good. On close examination you could see pitting, actual arc marks, on the balls and races making them noisy. The current from road static charges and possibly poor engine to body grounds was passing through the bearing itself, greatly reducing its life. By adding ground straps and keeping everything at the same voltage potential solved the problem.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Jul 2010 at 07:42 pm.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin, you da' man with your detailed descriptions and answers. Thanks!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Jul 2010, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, but 02PurplePT went away after I put all that stuff on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 08:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies.. very helpful, as always!! As soon as I post this response, I'll order the PS pressure switch and hope that'll fix the CE light. And when I take it for the inspection, I'll have them put new grounding wires on it.

And CREWZIN, I only made a temporary disappearance last night. My wife's out of town, so I'm trying to get the bathroom remodel done before she gets home Tuesday.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NO problem.

On the Power Steering Pressure Switch. Just had mine done. It's easy to get to but very messy job if you plan on doing it yourself. You loose quite a bit of fluid so have some handy to fill up the steering reservoir when your done and a big catch can.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I noticed this broken wire on mine some time ago. I thought it was something for the ABS that I don't have. Guess I better get it fixed
Old 03 Aug 2010, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

One more request for help... the power steering switch came in today, but I can't locate the original on the car. I see CREWZIN's post HERE and other places. But I'm far from an expert, so I'm not sure where the Power Steering Gear Assembly is located.

Directly in front of the oil pan (between the pan and the front bumper), there is an electrical connector that looks like it'll fit the PS sensor, but the other end is green & goes into a housing, so I don't have access to remove the other 'sensor' on that one... and the pic is very different from where I'm looking, so I really doubt it's the right place. Can anyone point me in the general direction?

Thanks again!!
Old 03 Aug 2010, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's in plain site (if your under the car, but you have to know where to look. It's further back than you would think and it's on the passenger side of the car. There's an inch thick stabilizer bar that runs across from one side to the other. Look up around that bar to see the pressure switch.