Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

0499 code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2010, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Axshun21
Default 0499 code

Hello all, I'm a new member here bbut have been involved in several other forums in the past and find them amazingly helpful.
Some info about my PT. Let me start by saying that I bought it this way but it was a deal I couldn't refuse. It is an '01' body but has an '04' motor, cradle, wiring harness, dashboard, radio, and steering column. It is missing the alarm module but does have the key part (PKM??). When I got it the guy said he was tired of messing with it and that he thought the alarm stuff had disabled the vehicle and he couldn't figure it out. I messed with it some but ended up taking it to the dealer and they found that the battery and coil(s) were bad. Fixed that then the ECU was bad. I took a chance and bought one from a company in Florida off of ebay ($150). Shop put it in, called said it was ready. So I go and pick it up and drive it a little and it seems fine for a little bit. It starts doing the won't go past 2500rpm thing. I've read several things on here about that and am still looking into it. The ECU is warrantied and I had already paid the dealer enough so I got it home and checked the codes. At first there were 5 codes but I thought I'd try and remove the battery cable and see what I had after that. What ended up with is a 0038 O2 sensor which I looked at an it has the '01' sensor in the catalytic and the '04' connector so I need to get an '04' sensor and that should fix tha problem, but thother code is a 0499 and I didn't see it in the code list.
Sorry it's so long but I've read how everyone would like to know a little about the PT before they can help, so I tried to throw it all out there.
Only other thing is they didn't put all the bolts in when they did the swap so my tranny dropped and pulled out the drivers side CV shaft so I have to replace that now to, should hopefully have that done this weekend.
Thanks for any and all help!!
Old 30 Jul 2010, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 0499 code

Emissions related.

P0499-NVLD CANISTER VENT VALVE SOLENOID CIRCUIT HIGH

NVLD = Natural Vacuum Leak Detector

Might be a false code. TSB on it:

Component Description:
22. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Bulletin Number: 1802603A
Bulletin Date: Sep 2003

Vehicle: 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:
ENGINE NO START (ENGINE WILL START IMMEDIATELY AFTER CYCLING THE IGNITION KEY), MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ILLUMINATION WITH FALSE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P0016, P0116, P0335, P0339, P0340, P0462, P0498, P0499, P0522, P0622, P1604, P ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10003985 )

Plus other TSB's

Chrysler Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0499 related TSBs
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 30 Jul 2010, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks!!
So this might mean that it's a fuse missing? Now do you know if the evaporative cannister is attached to the body or the motor, and if they're any different from one year to the other. Since there were several changes made from '01' to '04'. I could see it being mounted on the body and the hose or tubing not getting attached when the different cradle was installed. I'm still going over the whole front end making sure that all the bolts are tight, had to pull the passenger fender off to reattach the antenna, reattach a ground wire and a few oither things on that side.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes they could have changed it. The EGR pipe on the upper manifold for the 01/02 models was eliminated for 03 and I'm sure other emissions related parts could have been changed. I don't know what other changes were made or what fit on which years.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 06:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not sure why people are so quick to jump on TSBs that don't apply to the vehicle having the problem. Since yours is an 01 with guts from an 04, the TSB does not apply. It ONLY applies to 2003 models.

That being said, there could actually be a fault with the NVLD, which is setting the code. The NVLD is located inside the fuel tank. The tank must be dropped and drained to access the NVLD. I pulled this information for a 2004 model since your's is basically a 2004 with a 2001 body.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey Chris,

A heck of a lot of 04 cruisers were built in 03 so just "maybe" one or two of the TSB's could possibly be related to his 04 engine.

The 01 cruisers like mine actually when in production around Mayor June of 2000. Mine was Sept 00.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 12:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Hey Chris,

A heck of a lot of 04 cruisers were built in 03 so just "maybe" one or two of the TSB's could possibly be related to his 04 engine.

The 01 cruisers like mine actually when in production around Mayor June of 2000. Mine was Sept 00.
Well you certainly bring up a good point. However, remember that a vehcile manufactured in 9/2000 is still a 2001 model year. Same applies for a vehicle manufactured in, say, 9/2003. Therefore, 2003 information would not really apply.

Were there any actual 2000 model year Cruisers? Chrysler's system doesn't show a Cruiser for the 2000 model year, but I hear about them all over the internet.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 06:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes you do hear about them alot. There's a bunch of owners that had the earlier models that were bought in 2000 and even started a web sight. Mostly it was for people that had the early ones that STILL owned them after a number of years.

Here's the web sight if you care to look...

Welcome to the PT Cruiser Old Timers Club

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jul 2010 at 07:01 am.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 10:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Again thanks for the info. With all the little issues that I'm trying to work out with this vehicle. I think I'll wait a bit before I drop the tank. I worked on it some this weekend, and it starts up real nice, idles well, but won't get past the 2500 rpm's at all. I bought the O2 sensor for it but haven't put it on yet, I wanted to do a code check again before I did. I did get another code after revving it up the best I could and it came back with one of the crankshaft sensor codes, so I'm actually getting a bit concerned that I'll have to do a timing belt replacement. The car shows 125,000 so if it hasn't been changed I know it's due but I was really hoping to drive the thing while saving up some money to do these projects. I'll add more info as I get to it, I'm not real fast at getting things done so please be patient with me.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Axshun21,

Your way past the time for that timing belt change. We tell everyone that the engine is a non-interference engine which means when the belt breaks the valves won't hit the pistons which is good news but if you happen to be going at a good pace (high revs) when the belt breaks, the valves can hit each other on a dual overhead cam engine. That runs into money. Not as much a pulling the engine apart but a bunch more than just replacing the belt alone when it breaks. Something to think about.