Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser Radiator FAN WONT WORK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2010, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser Radiator FAN WONT WORK

Hey Guys! Im new to the forum and heres what I got. 2001 PT Cruiser NON Turbo with a radiator cooling fan issue. Heres what ive done so far.

Checked Radiator Fan Functionality= GOOD
Checked FUSES= GOOD
Checked RELAYS= Seem to be Good
Checked Grounds= GOOD

Now heres my problem checked for power at the connector end of the fan and no power shows up on any terminal (3 terminals) center terminal sees continutity to ground other no Voltage. Checked Power Distribution block and have no power coming out of on the HIGH SPEED or LOW SPEED circuits but have power going into the Power Distribution. Now below is a schematic of what im looking at. I havent changed the RELAYS because first off expensive second off I should still say power at the connectors? I was hopeing someone can shed some light on this situation.

Old 31 Jul 2010, 03:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser Radiator FAN WONT WORK

The fan is the weak link, it's usually the fan. How did you check it?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 31 Jul 2010, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unplugged the connector and applyed power directly to the Fan using a power prob grounded the black wire from the fan connector and applyed power to the High side and it worked fine applyed power to the LOW side and nothing happens. Weird thing is when I check for power on the other side of the connector from the junction block with KEY ON ENGINE off I dont see any power. WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
The fan is the weak link, it's usually the fan. How did you check it?
Old 31 Jul 2010, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm more of a hands on type of guy rather than going by a schematic but it seems to me that drawing (and I have the same one from my Haynes/Chilton manuals) doesn't show the computer or the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) which both have a hand in running the fan motor. Plus, from what I gather your trying to get is power at the plug from both the high speed side and the low speed side at the same time.

I know it shows on your diagram that the high speed has "power all the time" and it looks like if you turn the ignition to "run or start" then the low speed side will also have power but if it did that, what speed would the fan know to run on? I think that's where the computer and ECT come into play.

I could be wrong. As Dino said, the fan motor is usually 99% the weak link when overheating. The brushes wear out prematurely and use loose either high or low side. Maybe heifetz17 will correct me if I'm wrong and give you a better answer than I did.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jul 2010 at 04:33 pm.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the ECT was also changed to make sure that wasnt one of my possibilitys. Now it leaves me to think could my PCM be shorted? Can someone explain more clear as to why I dont see power at the connector from either the high or low side? Also when applying power to the high speed side the fan works great! On the low speed it doesnt work at all so as you said thats one of my probs right there is the fan! I just want to know why I dont see the voltage at the connector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I'm more of a hands on type of guy rather than going by a schematic but it seems to me that drawing (and I have the same one from my Haynes/Chilton manuals) doesn't show the computer or the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) which both have a hand in running the fan motor. Plus, from what I gather your trying to get is power at the plug from both the high speed side and the low speed side at the same time.

I know it shows on your diagram that the high speed has "power all the time" and it looks like if you turn the ignition to "run or start" then the low speed side will also have power but if it did that, what speed would the fan know to run on? I think that's where the computer and ECT come into play.

I could be wrong. As Dino said, the fan motor is usually 99% the weak link when overheating. The brushes wear out prematurely and use loose either high or low side. Maybe heifetz17 will correct me if I'm wrong and give you a better answer than I did.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 09:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Get a fan from autozone or another place they usually cost about 167 from local places, just ask about the return policy and than try it. You seem pretty knowledgeable but you may be over thinking this one.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01 Aug 2010, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

DINO thanks for the info yea i might just do that I still dont get why I dont see power at the connector. I know how a relay works but it just doesnt make sense to me. Ill give it a try and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Get a fan from autozone or another place they usually cost about 167 from local places, just ask about the return policy and than try it. You seem pretty knowledgeable but you may be over thinking this one.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 01:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoServWorks01 View Post
DINO thanks for the info yea i might just do that I still dont get why I dont see power at the connector. I know how a relay works but it just doesnt make sense to me. Ill give it a try and see what happens.
Good luck, keep us posted we love knowing how the problem is solved.

This might help

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

Old 01 Aug 2010, 03:22 pm
Banned

I would think that this is a possability. The PCM is at the bottom of the diagram you posted. You''l note that the PCM is what supplies the low voltage side of the high and low relays with the power to close the relays and allow the higher voltage to go to the propper side of the fan motor. The PCM won't send this signal to the either relay if the engine isn't running. That's because either the a/c has to be turned on or the engine temp. has to reach a certain point and this info has to be sent to the PCM for the PCM to close the relay to turn on the fan. So if the engine isn't running and one of these two events hasn't happened you won't read power out of either of the relays. Does this make since?

Jerry
Jerry
Old 01 Aug 2010, 03:24 pm
Banned

As to your problem, yes it appears you need a new fan.

Jerry