Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quick add of performance. any ideas???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Quick add of performance. any ideas???

i have a 06 pt cruiser limited edition 2.4 turbo auto everything stock i think any ideas to quickly add some power in detail such as brands or websites to order from. thank you for looking?
Old 02 Aug 2010, 05:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default Re: Quick add of performance. any ideas???

First off it would help to know whats legal and not legal in your area.

If it california and you unforuntely don't live in one of the areas that bi-annual smog checks arent required your options for something "legal" are limited.

that's assuming you want to be legal there are tons of people who throw stuff on their cars without a worry about legality and some of them even know how to trick the sniffer or have friends or pay special prices for people to pass their smog tests....I do not abide nor agree with these tactics personally.

so on with that.
here in southern california your pretty much limited to intake and exhaust and maybe a downpipe and cat if they are carb approved.
you might be able to get a pulley, since the underdrive pulleys I've seen look very similar to stock.
ignition like plugs wires and coil and even moduls like msd offers are usually ok.
anything suspension is alright
you might be able to get a program/chip but no idea how reliable those are, and very few are smog legal, but like mentioned above a few people have been able to get to pass through

as for brands there's too many to mention...espeically on the intake side
just do some searching on the web and read reviews and pick what fits your budget, your style, and your goals.

welcome to the forum and the pt is an awesome car, please keep us up todate on your mod choices, and this forum loves pictures....I have yet to take any of my car and right now its dirty so I don't want too LOL.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 02 Aug 2010, 02:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Intake and exhaust.
Cheapest is a K&N replacement filter - costs about $45.
RaceAndStreet - or autoparts store
next get an AirAid or K&N intake

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Aug 2010, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I see there are a few different types of air intakes. dry,cold and regular which should i do? i have the 2.4 turbo auto thanks in advance. oh and exhaust its not duel should i switch or just get a regular aftermarket??

Last edited by YoungPtCruizer; 14 Aug 2010 at 09:46 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 10:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

find a stage 1
Old 14 Aug 2010, 10:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

i have a 2004 dream cruiser with high output turbo just bought a airaid system .
Old 14 Aug 2010, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

do i mess with the boost control for the turbo at all or get a turbo timer? any stock or minor adjustments or anything that anyone has learn from experience is greatly appreciated. still cant determine what intake i should get the battle between cold air and regular intake is in the air i guess

Last edited by YoungPtCruizer; 15 Aug 2010 at 12:40 am.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

the question that we must ask is...
"how fast do you want to spend?"

how much power are you looking for?

I'm very new to pts in general and since I dont have a turbo model I haven't looked much at the turbo options and differences.
I have heard that the turbo pt's are almost identical to the neon srt4 just a few things are different.

intercooler size and shape is different.
I've heard the intake manifold is different.
and I'm sure the computer programs are different
the turbo might even be different but maybe not.

so a quick dream list might be something like this....
air raid or k&n intake system
ram air hood
hard piping/metal piping instead of rubber piping or hard plastic piping.
bigger/better intercooler
intake manifold (assuming the srt4 is a direct replacement and would be benefical)
blow off valve
higher flowing turbo manifold
wastegate
turbo
down pipe
high flow cat
exhaust bigest piping I've seen is 2 1/2 in diamater.....could go custom with a 3in set up but the 2 1/2 in is probably good enough, single outlet or dual outlet is a personal preference.

plugs
wires
coil
ground strap

air/fuel mixture gauge
boost gauge
exhaust gas temp (egt) guage
turbo timer (keeps your car running a predetermined amount of time to keep oil circulating to cool the turbo down before shut off)
oil cooler
more efficent radiator
lower temp thermostat
more efficent fan/fans

if you wanted alot more boost probably bigger injectors and higher flowing fuel pump and deffiently a dyno tune.

these are just a quick idea(s)/wish list of stuff you can do for mechanical performance.

there's still handling and brakeing and stereo performances to think about too at some point in time.

and after that luxury comfort and looks departments.....dream big or go home right? LOL alot of people are happy with just an intake and exahust and few other things and there there are people that want to just go friggin crazy, and then there are people that don't want to do anything at all but all of a sudden they add a little bling and then want to add more so they do and then they want to add even more and more and it turns into a vicious cycle.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 15 Aug 2010, 02:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with don, intake and exhaust.
The car was made to run as it does, as is common with many cars, and it costs quite some money to get more out of it. More than its worth it in my opinion. It was never made to be a fast car, but the things that improve hp and torque just happen to be things that are just simply healthy for the car.
Make sure to do plugs and wires as well , as was previously stated, but thats a given
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 02:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

im stupid

Last edited by turbo1013; 15 Aug 2010 at 02:45 pm.