Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem after timing belt replacement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2010, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem after timing belt replacement.

After replacing the timing belt on my 2004 PT non-turbo the car starts and idles perfect but but when it is driving it boggs down (stutters, misfires) when the automatic transmission shifts. Once it is in gear it runs fine again. The check engine light is on but I have not had the codes read yet. I am wondering if I damaged a sensor or wire during the timing belt installation. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 11:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Problem after timing belt replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britten44 View Post
After replacing the timing belt on my 2004 PT non-turbo the car starts and idles perfect but but when it is driving it boggs down (stutters, misfires) when the automatic transmission shifts. Once it is in gear it runs fine again. The check engine light is on but I have not had the codes read yet. I am wondering if I damaged a sensor or wire during the timing belt installation. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Check the codes with the key dance and than check the code, it sounds like the cam shaft position sensor, just changed mine.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06 Aug 2010, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here is the info:

The code was P0016 which is the camshaft position sensor. I reset the code and drove the car to verify that it was the problem. Car continued to stumble at gear shift and the light came back on and was the same P0016.

I replaced the camshaft position sensor as well as the stock wires and plugs. I am still getting the same code and stumbling on gear shifts otherwise runs smoothly.
Old 06 Aug 2010, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Where did you get the sensor? There have been numerous reports that aftermarket sensors cause the problem - pay a few bucks more and get it from dealer - also check wiring....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Aug 2010, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bought the camshaft sensor from the dealer. I checked the wiring and everything looked good.

I have read P0016 is also the code for camshaft and crankshaft sensor out of sync. I wonder if it is possible that I have the timing off by one tooth on one of the camsprockets. I think I am going to open it back up and check the timing. Any other suggestions?
Old 06 Aug 2010, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Usually, won't idle nice one tooth off.... There is the crank sensor....
Old 09 Aug 2010, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My guess was correct and the timing was off by one tooth on the intake camsprocket. I thought I had been very carefully and checked and double checked but it was my error. I replaced the camshaft sensor for no reason
($60).
Old 09 Aug 2010, 07:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by britten44 View Post
My guess was correct and the timing was off by one tooth on the intake camsprocket. I thought I had been very carefully and checked and double checked but it was my error. I replaced the camshaft sensor for no reason
($60).
Your dealer stealer charged you 60 bucks, I just paid 30 and change at my dealer. Well anyway the sensors to go so you ahead of the curve now, good luck.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson