Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
really crazy overheating issues...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2010, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question really crazy overheating issues...

Its a long story, I'm sorry about the length...

We've got an 02 PT. Last winter my husband noticed that it was not warming all the way up. Heater worked fine so we assumed that it was not a problem. Once the weather warmed up the car gave us no trouble. A few weeks ago on his way home from work the gage climbed up and reached hot. He pulled over, let it cool, tried to add water and it would not take very much at all. The gage never showed that the engine cooled down. 3 hours later, with the gage still showing hot he drove the 5 miles home.

The next morning he checked water, it was fine, and started the car. Before the engine cranked it showed hot and the warning light was on. He cranked it and the temp gage stayed on hot for about 30 seconds before dropping to cold, the warning light stayed on and the check engine light came on. Ran code PO117. So we replaced etc sensor and it did not fix it, replaced etc sensor again and thermostat, nothing changed. Every time we do anything to it the code will clear out only to come back the same way it did before, only now the engine is really hard to start.

So the next step was to take it to a mechanic. He thought we might have air trapped so he rebled the system and checked the thermostat and checked to make sure it wasn't a head problem. He suggested that we replace the radiator because his temp gun showed various temps all over the radiator. But he had no idea what to do about the code.

We replaced the radiator, bled the system and cranked it up. Just like before the gage showed hot, warning light on, then dropped to cold and engine light came on. Same code PO117. We dont think water is moving properly, and we think there may be something wrong in the wiring but have no idea where to start.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: really crazy overheating issues...

Welcome to the forums.
How many miles? At about 100,000 miles, should have the timing belt changed, along with a new water pump.
So, you replaced thermostat, temp sensor, and radiator?

What did coolant look like?

I found this:
http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0117

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As QSD just asked, what color was the coolant? My question is, did you have the PT since new and if you did, did you ever change the coolant. The wrong kind can clog the radiator. It does sound like the coolant isn't making it around the system to cool things off. That could be trapped air in the system or a blockage somewhere. The link QSD gave you gives some good advise.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It has about 120,000 miles on it. We bought it when it had about 50,000 miles on it. The coolant looked rusty and the old radiator was about halfway stopped up when we took it to the radiator shop.

Replacing the belt and water pump is not something we want to attempt ourselves and we were hoping we could find another solution until we had the money (about $700 in labor) to get it done.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

RockAuto.com has the parts for $129 + shipping for timing belt & water pump - shop around for a "hungrier" mechanic - I know it's not cheap, but at 120,000 miles, you are on borrowed time and if belt breaks, not only are you stranded and have to be towed, but can cause valve damage and be more expensive.....