Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2010, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Timing Belt

Having timing belt changed (Gates belt, tensioner, idler pulley, OEM water pump) and said to replace serpentine belt, too - is there another belt just for Alternator?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Aug 2010, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt

Yes Don, the alternator belt is separate.
Old 04 Aug 2010, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks - I'll have that done, too - It's my daughter's car w/93,000 miles.
Old 05 Aug 2010, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just found this forum and am so happy. My 2001 PT "died" at an intersection on Tuesday. The mechanic said it's the timing belt (probably correct 126K miles), however he said nothing about changing the water pump, tensioner, etc and wants to charge me $1200.00. I think he is trying to rip me off because I am a woman. Any suggestions as to how I can find if he is knowledgable enough to do this job?
Old 05 Aug 2010, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome Cruisette to the Forum!!
Is he someone you have used before for repairs? $1200 isn't really that far out of the ballpark, it is about a 6 hour labor cost and roughly $750 for the needed parts. It would depend how much he charges a hour.
If you can wait a few days you can order the whole kit needed from Rock Auto and the parts would be much less. It includes everything. Ask him if he minded if you bought the parts and have him install them for you. If you get the parts from Rock Auto I think you can get them (kit) for about $400.00.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Aug 2010, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I just bought the kit from Rock Auto - It's $129 + shipping - But you should also get the serpentine belt and alternator belt while you're there....
$1,200 is what some dealers charge - that's high, and get a price from a dealer before you pay some clown that much.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Aug 2010, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My dealer was $800 for labor and all the parts including the two belts QSD just mentioned was $275. On Rock Auto you have a choice on each of the parts you want and I went for the little more expensive ones. Mechanic found a leaky crankshaft seal (right there in the middle of everything he was working on) so a couple seals and 1/2 more in labor so the whole job was $1200.
Old 05 Aug 2010, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys!!!!! Do you think the serpentine and alternator belt are a must? While doing additional research I actually found someone who is much more reasonable (like WAY MORE reasonable). I may suggest that I provide the parts for him or atleast that he consider ordering the parts through Rock Auto. GREAT IDEA!!!!
Old 05 Aug 2010, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the other belts are original, yes. The serpentine belt has to come off anyway, so why put back an old one, and the alternator belt is easy and not costly.
Old 05 Aug 2010, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PERFECT!!!!!!!
Thank you so much!!!!!!