Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT 2007, Light issue = faulty TIPM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2010, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT 2007, Light issue = faulty TIPM?

I have a PT 2007, and I asked about a light a while ago. I ended up getting one, we got it installed, but the dim (main) head light doesn't work. After a couple hours at that shop of looking for free(because they failed to mention it didn't work after charging me for aiming it), and myself and a few others looked at it, we came up with nothing.

So, I brought it to the dealership and after a 95.00 for a diagnostic test, they got back to me and told me it was the Totally Integrated Power Modulator or (TIPM).
I saw another thread on here but involving a different part of the car that was having issues with the TIPM. I'm looking on the site that was given for a cheaper part out in TX.

So.. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with it effecting only one light? Otherwise does anyone else have any other ideas about how to get one in VA, or if they were interchangeable in with o7's(since the one I saw earlier was o6 and they were interchangeable within its year.)

Ok, so I just picked up my car and looked over the paperwork;

"Verified Concern/ Can turn on headlight after by-passing TIPM/ No power at TIPM output pin to lamp/TIPM internally failed/ Cannot use TIPM from salvage-programmed to specific VIN number

Thanks,
D

Last edited by AzinDine; 04 Aug 2010 at 09:17 pm. Reason: Update
Old 05 Aug 2010, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT 2007, Light issue = faulty TIPM?

I am not sure what your question is.
From my understanding, the TIPM is a fancy name for the consolidated fuse/realy holder in the engine compartment that was from '06 on. Prior to that, there were fuses/relays by the driver's knee as well.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Dec 2010, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not applicable

Last edited by coloradopt; 29 Dec 2010 at 10:59 am. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 13 Jan 2011, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2006 PT and following a front passenger side collision, I was left without a functioning right headlight. Replacing the bulb didn't work. I had a few shops check if it was something electric or simple to fix, and they were unsuccessful.

Later, when fixing an unrelated problem (documented in this thread here: 2006 PT Cruiser Help! (TIPM? WCM?)), a Chrysler dealership told me I had a faulty TIPM that needed to be replaced for around $1000. They replaced it, and so far I haven't had to deal with the serious an unrelated problem of my car stopping/not starting while driving again. But still I am left without a functioning headlight.

Later, I was finally able to get enough money to get my collision damage fixed (new fender/bumper/headlight/bulbs), but I didn't realize until after I drove it off the body shop that the headlight still wasn't fixed.

So to recap, all new headlight/bulbs and a new TIPM and I am still left without a headlight. I have an appt with the Chrysler dealership again tomorrow, and if I learn anything helpful, I'll post it here.

Good luck!